Sound-off: GPSC Basketball Campout

More than 2,000 graduate and professional students spent the weekend camped out to enter the lottery for Duke Men’s Basketball season tickets. The event, organized by the Graduate and Professional Student Council, took place in the Blue Zone parking lot from Friday evening to Sunday morning. Campers who missed fewer than two attendance checks were entered into a lottery for a chance to purchase one of the 725 graduate and professional student season tickets for $200. The Chronicle interviewed several students about their thoughts on the camp out and men’s basketball.

—compiled by Raj De

“I’m like Pavlov’s dog looking over [at the buzzer]—just getting ready to run.”

—Adrian Macias, a first-year graduate student in the Sanford School of Public Policy

“It has been a little ridiculous in a way, but it has been fun. We’re all just kind of stuck here for three days. Partying last night was crazy loud.”

—Kaleb Naegeli, a first-year graduate student in molecular cancer biology

“In talking to people about the Duke-UNC rivalry and how Duke basketball is and how different college games are... I wanted to experience this part of college culture, and camp out was the way to do it.”

—June Reyes, a first-year master’s student in the Nicholas School of the Environment

“A huge source of bonding is the shared fear of hearing the [bullhorn]. Combine the fear, the beer and the discomfort. But we’re all so happy about it—probably because of the beer.”

—Jake Thomsen, a first-year dual degree student in the Sanford School of Public Policy and the Fuqua School of Business

“It’s been very lively, vibrant and entertaining. They had speed dating, Duke trivia and a basketball shootout.”

—Chris Thomas, a first-year graduate student in nursing and anesthesia

“The odds of repeating [a national championship] aren’t that great, but we’ve done it before. The hope is that we’ll go pretty far.

—Sandeep Pasrija, a second-year student of Fuqua Business School

“Back to back, baby.”

—Chris Repsa, a first-year graduate student in nursing and anesthesia

Share and discuss “Sound-off: GPSC Basketball Campout” on social media.