Singler, Smith honored

Seniors Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler were named to the John Wooden preseason top-50 list by the Los Angeles Athletic Club Monday. Duke was one of only five schools with two players on the list.

Another cog was added yesterday to the hype machine being built for Duke’s 2010-11 season.

Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith were named Monday to the John Wooden preseason top-50 list by the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

“I think it’s a great honor and much deserved,” associate head coach Chris Collins said. “If you saw what they accomplished last year and the momentum they have now, it’s something that’s great for both of them. We believe they are two of the elite players in the country.”

The two players, who serve as the Blue Devils’ captains, both saw their games reach new heights during last season’s national championship campaign.

Smith, especially, saw his numbers explode from his sophomore year. He averaged 17.4 points, 2.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game in a season that saw him comfortably step into a starting role for the first time in his career. Perhaps his defining moment came in the Elite Eight against Baylor, when he scored 29 points to lead Duke to the Final Four.

Singler, who spurned a possible top-10 NBA draft pick to return to Duke, was named the Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player after averaging 20 points and nine rebounds in Indianapolis. He is expected to again deliver big numbers for the Blue Devils.

Collins denied that either will be affected by any new expectations brought on by the Wooden watch list.

“I don’t think it’s anything new for these guys,” Collins said. “Kyle has had to play from high expectations from day one, and Nolan last year saw the pressure to perform and he responded great to it.”

Left off the preseason top-50 list were both Miles and Mason Plumlee. Some online commentators pointed to their absence as a possible snub, which Collins thought might be a great motivator to the frontcourt duo.

“Obviously, we believe that they have the potential to be great players,” he said. “[They] can use things like that as motivation and play with a chip on their shoulder.”

The ACC was not as well-represented as it has been in recent years, but six non-Duke players still made the list, including Virginia Tech’s Malcolm Delaney, North Carolina’s John Henson, Florida State’s Chris Singleton, N.C. State’s Tracy Smith, Boston College’s Joe Trapani and Maryland’s Jordan Williams.

Freshmen were not eligible to be included.

IN OTHER NEWS: According to Collins, the team has spent the last few weeks working out in very short sessions. The NCAA stipulates that at this time of the year, players are allowed to train and lift weights on their own time, but can only practice with the team for two hours a week. It is a frustrating system for the coach.

“The last two weeks, we’ve instilled the defense and offensive work we’re doing with this team,” he said. “It’s a tease, though, because you get out there and you realize the window of time to work on it is so small.”

The freshmen—Kyrie Irving, Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton—have adjusted well to the new Duke system, a result partly stemming from their professionally run high schools, Collins said.

“They’re doing great. They’re all mature beyond their years,” he said. “I think they’re ahead of most freshmen.”

Duke’s fans will get their first look at the freshmen and the national player of the year candidates October 15 with the start of Countdown to Craziness.

Share and discuss “Singler, Smith honored” on social media.