Service will sell prepaid taxi cards

This year, Duke will sponsor Taxi on Demand, a company that provides prepaid taxi cards.

Prepaid taxi cards will aim to make getting around Durham even more convenient.

Duke will sponsor Taxi On Demand, a national company that sells prepaid taxi cards that are accepted by thousands of companies across the country. Cards will be available in increments of $35, $50, $100 and $200, according to the company’s website.

Sophomore Chris Brown, Duke Student Government vice president for athletics and campus services, is coordinating the effort between local cab companies and Taxi On Demand. A couple of students have already tried the service, and DSG is planning on selling the prepaid cards on campus during parents’ weekend Oct. 22-24, he said.

“The idea behind this service is that these funds on the taxi card can only be used for taxis, so it provides a safety net,” Brown said. “If I have the card in my wallet, even if I don’t have any cash, I will always be able to get from place to place with a safe ride.”

Durham’s Best Cab Company is the official partner for the initiative, but the cards can be accepted by any card company that accepts Discover cards. Detailed information is available on DSG’s website, Brown said.

Brown hopes that once the project expands, groups such as fraternities and selective living groups will be able to get discounts on taxi cards in order to transport people to events.

“Once the program starts generating a lot of revenue from Durham’s Best Cab Company, we can start negotiating deals with them,” Brown said. “We are looking to transition from using the cards on an individual basis to expanding it to group usage as the program becomes more popular.”

DSG has worked with Duke Parking and Transportation Services since May on this initiative. Sam Veraldi, director of parking and transportation, said that he thinks having a primary cab company that students use with the cards will ensure consistent and good service.

Over the summer, Brown initiated a pilot program to test the effectiveness of the project. During the first summer session, four Duke students tested out the cards with a number of different taxi companies.

Sophomore Sanjay Kishore participated in the pilot program and used the service several times, including for a trip to the Durham Performing Arts Center. He said he found it very efficient and convenient, adding that another benefit is that the service could help to prevent drunk driving.

“Though I’m not familiar with rates of students driving while intoxicated here, I know people do occasionally drive drunk—maybe because it’s more convenient than walking or using a bus, or cheaper than paying out of pocket for a cab,” Kishore said. “Any program that can address that problem provides an option that students could take advantage of when transportation becomes an issue.”

Share and discuss “Service will sell prepaid taxi cards” on social media.