People You May Know seeks to illustrate Durham’s diversity

Utilizing paintings, photographs, illustrations and design, People You May Know is the DAC’s first show curated in-house in its 56 years.

Myriad faces, both ordinary and renowned, will be featured in the Durham Arts Council’s newest exhibition People You May Know—the first show curated in-house by the DAC in its 56 years.

Displayed in the DAC’s Allenton and Semans Galleries, the collection consists of a series of portraits by nine local artists designed to express the diversity of the Durham community. The subjects of the portraits, who range from prominent figures to everyday next-door neighbors, are represented by a variety of media, including paintings, photographs, illustrations and design.

In addition, People You May Know will feature two artistic ventures by Durham community activists: the Community Portrait of Durham and the New Neighbors Project.

“We hope the exhibition will demonstrate something of the diverse energies and talents that make up the Durham community and provide an opportunity for people to reflect on what ‘community’ means to them personally,” said Margaret DeMott, director of artist services for the DAC.

Artists include the well-known Beverly McIver, an African-American painter whose work has been shown in galleries across the United States; Titus Brooks Heagins, a documentary photographer who focuses on racial tensions; and Dave Alsobrooks, the mind behind the New Neighbors Project, which displays fictitious “new neighbors” in windows of vacant Durham buildings to demonstrate the infrastructure’s potential.

“I went looking for artists who were doing work that was more unusual and different,” said Barclay McConnell, artist services manager for the DAC and the curator of People You May Know.

McConnell added that the artists used subjects of all races, types and ages.

“Some of [the portraits] are really unusual—people who aren’t usually considered beautiful,” she said.

McConnell said her vision for the project was inspired by Waste Land, an award-winning documentary featuring photographer Vik Muniz’s work in Brazil. Muniz encouraged local “catadores” (garbage pickers) to create portraits out of trash in one of the largest open-air landfills in the world and photographed the process. He then donated proceeds from his photos back to the community.

“I think there are artists now who are realizing that they can influence social changes through their art,” McConnell said. “I asked myself, ‘How can [art] be transformative to our community?’ and came up with this idea of building community through an exhibit.”

The idea of community is a central theme to the show, emphasized in the personal qualities of the portraits. McConnell said she hopes the intimacy and intensity of the works will encourage Durhamites to forge connections with each other.

During the artists’ reception Oct. 15, the DAC will officially present the Community Portrait of Durham, which McConnell describes as a “big human mosaic” of the Durham city flag. The reception will also feature live music, and members of SeeSaw Studio, a design organization for teenagers, will take Polaroid pictures of people at the event.

McConnell also said the DAC is “expecting a huge turnout” and hopes the convergence of people at the exhibition will produce a “ripple effect” to spread community awareness.

People You May Know will be on display in the Durham Arts Council’s Allenton and Semans Galleries through Jan. 9. The public is invited to the artists’ reception Oct. 15 from 5 to 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “People You May Know seeks to illustrate Durham’s diversity” on social media.