Majors fair: Helpful but poorly publicized

Are you undecided on your major? Unsure which classes you should pursue next semester? Uncertain whether you want to pursue a minor or a certificate? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then Tuesday’s Majors Fair would have been perfect for you. Unfortunately,

Generic Script

many of my fellow first year students did not seem to know about this wonderful opportunity. Although the event could have perhaps been publicized better on East, it was well worth the midday trek to West Campus.

For those of us who had noticed the sign promoting the event in the Bryan Center—personally, I have to thank midnight McDonald’s craving for this—the Majors Fair turned out to be a fairly helpful event. Immediately upon entering the Bryan Center, I was offered a free shirt—the mark of any truly successful Duke event.

Representatives from all departments were present, answering questions and offering advice on choosing a major and deciding next semester’s courses. For the first time in my Duke career, I received a concrete explanation as to the difference between Public Policy and Political Science (for those of you who also wonder this, Political Science is theory, Public Policy Studies is the practice. You would think that distinction would appear in the descriptions).

Students who did not make it out to the Majors Fair this year, I recommend paying attention for next year’s replication. Whether you have no idea what course of study you want to take or have already planned every class you will take between now and graduation, the Fair can offer you guidance, information, advice, and free candy.

Share and discuss “Majors fair: Helpful but poorly publicized” on social media.