Kaufman to return to D.C. program

Sen. Ted Kaufman, D-Del, will resume teaching for the Duke in D.C. program after finishing his 21-month term in Congress in November, according to Delaware Online.

Kaufman, Engineering ’60, was sworn into the Senate as a replacement for Vice President Joe Biden in January 2009. In addition to serving as Biden’s chief of staff for 19 years, Kaufman has long been associated with the School of Law’s program in D.C., which allows students to study federal policymaking firsthand in the nation’s capital.

The program is intended for students interested in public policy, public service and careers in the public sector, according to the School of Law’s website. Students undertake a full-time externship, participate in a weekly course and complete a research project.

Kaufman will mentor students that work with either members of Congress or other political and lobbying organizations. Kaufman will also teach on the legislative process once a week, the site noted.

Since joining the Senate, Kaufman has pushed for regulation of the financial services industry, especially with regard to high frequency trading.

Even after Kaufman’s successor is sworn in this November, he said he will remain “a voice for the average investor,” according to Delaware Online. Through writing, congressional appearances and speeches, Kaufman will try to promote the need for more transparency and control of a “financial system that seems out of control at times.”

Share and discuss “Kaufman to return to D.C. program” on social media.