Group hears update on house model transition

Campus Council President Stephen Temple discusses the Fall 2012 switch to the house model.

As construction of the new K4 residence hall progresses, Duke’s residential experience is taking new shape.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta presented students with a look into Duke’s residential future at Campus Council’s meeting Thursday night. Moneta discussed the new house model, which will be implemented Fall 2012.

“The fact is that the economy has inhibited us from doing things as rapidly as we might like,” Moneta said. “As the economy improves over the next few years, however, we want to get back to an accelerated pace of facility upgrades.”

Moneta also briefed the council on Dining, a responsibility that the Office of Student Affairs assumed over the summer.

The relationship between residential life and Dining is being re-evaluated, he said, adding that a new position of Assistant Vice President for Student Housing and Dining has been created but not yet filled. Campus Council will have the opportunity to interview candidates.

Renovations to the West Union Building and expansion of the Marketplace should begin within the next two years. This will present a “dramatic challenge,” especially when parts of the Union have to be closed, he said.

Moneta said the University will continue renovations to Central Campus and hopes to start renovations to Craven and Crowell quadrangles in the near future. He added that the presence of selective living groups on Central has brought life to the area, indicating that the new house model could achieve similar results.

“[Central] has demonstrated that we can take buildings that aren’t necessarily the best designed and create a great, unique opportunity for community,” he said.

For now, no new living groups will be able to petition for housing on West Campus, but Moneta said the opportunity is still available on Central.

In other business:

The council also re-evaluated its outreach to student groups and passed a policy to invite groups with connections to residential issues to send liaisons to Campus Council meetings. The groups include the Interfraternity Council, the National Panhellenic Council, the Selective House Council and the Inter-Greek Council, among others. The effort will represent a broader spectrum of students in residential policy and increase transparency, said President Stephen Temple, a senior.

The council is taking applications for the student-driven “House Model Working Group” until Oct. 14. The working group will discuss the house model, its implementation and its effect on students.

Temple added that the co-chair of the Approval and Removal Committee—which has a say in the status of residential groups—will be elected Oct. 21. He also said a survey on gender-neutral housing policy will go out to the student body sometime next week.

Share and discuss “Group hears update on house model transition” on social media.