Grad student robbed on LaSalle St.

A male graduate student was robbed near LaSalle Street at approximately 10 p.m. Thursday night “very close” to the location of the robbery Wednesday, said Duke Police Chief John Dailey.

Including the attempted robbery near Jarvis Dormitory on East Campus Oct. 9, this is the third similar incident in the last week.

The student was not seriously hurt and only his cell phone was taken. Dailey said he believes there was no weapon involved.

“We’re taking this very seriously,” Dailey said. “We’ve already got a group of administrators coming together tomorrow... to see if there is anything that we might be able to do to assist students that live in that area.”

The meeting will include the International House, Parking and Transportation Services and Student Affairs. The Duke University Police Department will also request a coordination meeting with the Durham Police Department, he added. DPD responded to the scene and is investigating the robbery.

Despite the similar location, Dailey said it is unlikely the two LaSalle robberies are related. The perpetrator was described as a black, 5-foot-8 male in his 20s with a medium complexion. At the time of the crime, he was wearing a red and white hoodie, Dailey said.

The attacker on LaSalle earlier this week was described as a black female wearing a gray hoodie with a pink vertical stripe who allegedly pushed a female student to the ground before stealing her backpack.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta notified the student body of the robbery in an e-mail sent at approximately 11 p.m. DUPD and DPD are currently in discussion about patrol coverage for that area, the e-mail noted.

Share and discuss “Grad student robbed on LaSalle St.” on social media.