Grad student arrested for burglary Sunday

Editor's note: The charge referenced in the article was later dismissed by a state court overseeing the prosecution.

A Duke graduate student was arrested Sunday for first-degree burglary, The Herald-Sun reported Tuesday.

Sam Payton, a former Duke lacrosse player pursuing a master of business administration at the Fuqua School of Business, was arrested early Sunday morning after the Durham Police Department responded to a 4:10 a.m. call in the 2400 block of West Club Boulevard.

The residents of the home said they did not know Payton when police arrived, police spokeswoman Kammie Michael told The Herald Sun. Payton was released later that day from the Durham County Jail on a $30,000 secured bond.

Payton’s lawyer, Bob Ekstrand, said in a statement that his client’s the arrest was a misunderstanding.

“My client made the mistake of attempting to enter what he believed to be his friends’ house after a night out with his friends. This unfortunate mistake no doubt alarmed the homeowner and the police, and for that he is terribly sorry. But it did not involve any criminal activity—he was not driving a car and no one was injured. We hope to resolve this matter promptly with all involved, who will have our full cooperation.”

Share and discuss “Grad student arrested for burglary Sunday” on social media.