Founder’s Day honors alumni and faculty

Faculty, students and alumni gathered in Duke Chapel Thursday to celebrate the 109th annual Founder’s Day by honoring the University’s heritage, scholars, faculty and alumni.

Robert Steel, former chair of the Board of Trustees, spoke to Founder’s Day celebrants Thursday afternoon about Duke’s “tension between tradition and tomorrow.”

Students, faculty and alumni gathered in Duke Chapel to celebrate Founder’s Day, which began as Benefactors’ Day in 1901 with the goal of honoring the Duke family.

After stating that his goal was “not to criticize, but to challenge as we move forward,” Steel, Trinity ’73 and New York City deputy mayor for economic development, suggested several ways in which the University can advance its interests. Among his top recommendations were that Duke increase networking with local universities, bring teachers’ technological standards up to date and remain committed to offering access to the best applicants regardless of their ability to pay.

Steel also advocated transparency in the administration, suggesting that the free distribution of information is “the best antidote to misconceptions.”

After Steel’s address, President Richard Brodhead honored the recipients of various Duke-sponsored scholarships and recognized several individuals for special awards.

Ellen Davis, Amos Ragan Kearns Distinguished Professor of Bible and Practical Theology, received the University Scholar/Teacher of the Year Award for her contribution to Duke’s academics. Davis, who teaches a popular course on the Old Testament, is also well known for supporting interfaith dialogue and sustainable agriculture.

Eager to be recognized, English professor Thomas Ferraro stood up before Brodhead called him to the podium to accept his Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award, for which he was selected by a panel of undergraduates.

“He stood up and he ruined my surprise,” Brodhead said. “Sit down a minute.”

Ferraro, who was a student of Brodhead’s at Yale University, shared a warm hug with the president as he received his award. Known for his enthusiastic teaching style, Ferraro is also a prominent scholar on the subject of ethnicity.

Harold Yoh, for whom the Yoh Football Center and Yoh Family Professorship are named, received the Distinguished Alumni Award. Yoh, Pratt ’58, has been an active volunteer in the Duke community and has served as a member of both the Board of Trustees and Pratt School of Engineering Board of Visitors.

“Lifelong learning isn’t a thrill or a slogan, but the deepest human imperative,” Brodhead said before he gave professor emeritus of education Jean O’Barr her award as University Medalist for Distinguished Meritorious Service, which Steel also received.

O’Barr, who has been teaching at Duke since 1969, played a significant role in developing Duke’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. She was also the founding director of the Women’s Studies Program, a position she held until 2001.

After the ceremony, Brodhead continued to speak highly of the honorees outside the Chapel.

“They’re all incredibly special people,” he said.

Event attendee Priya Bhat, a senior, said she thought Ferraro and Brodhead’s embrace was endearing.

“I got choked up,” senior Julia Duzon added. “I hope to have that one day with my professors.”

Share and discuss “Founder’s Day honors alumni and faculty” on social media.