DUMC prof to lead High Point school

Daniel Erb, director of graduate studies and associate professor at Duke University Medical Center, will leave Duke to become dean of High Point University’s new School of Health Sciences.

Dennis Carroll, provost and vice president for academic affairs at High Point, said Erb will assume his new position Jan. 1, according to a High Point news release. Erb will be responsible for developing the curriculum in the health sciences programs, hiring faculty and staff and creating new clinical sites in the medical community, the news release stated.

The school comes as part of High Point’s recently announced $2 billion growth plan to be executed during the next 10 years. It is projected to open in Fall 2013 with a new $50 million facility.

The new school will house existing undergraduate programs in exercise science and athletic training, as well as proposed graduate programs in physician assistant studies, physical therapy and occupational therapy. High Point is also examining the establishment of a School of Pharmacy, which will be part of the new school.

Erb graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 1981 with a degree in physical therapy, and received a master’s degree and doctorate in anatomy from the Medical College of Virginia. He was a postdoctoral fellow in the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of Miami School of Medicine. Erb has been at Duke for the last 11 years.

During his time at Duke, Erb also created a physical rehabilitation practice that specializes in treating stroke and brain injuries.

Eric Hegedus, associate professor at the Medical Center, will take over Erb’s position. He is also founder and director of Targeted Enhancement of Athletic Movement, a community-based health and wellness organization.

Share and discuss “DUMC prof to lead High Point school” on social media.