DSO performs at Baldwin Auditorium

Generic Script

On Wednesday night the Baldwin Auditorium was alive with the music of the Duke Symphony Orchestra, presenting its second concert of the 2010-2011 academic year: "Is that Schumann with one "N" or two?" The aptly titled performance featured pieces from two composers, Robert Schumann and William Schuman. Led by Duke Music Director and DSO Conductor Harry Davidson, the primarily student-based Orchestra performed four pieces containing a variety of emotions, from the despair of Robert Schumann’s “Overture to Manfred, Op. 115” to the patriotism and pride of William Schuman’s “Variations on ‘America.”

The concert opened with “Overture to Manfred, Op. 115” by Robert Schumann. The intense emotion quickly captured the room, effectively conveying such complex sensations as agitation, guilt and despair. The highlight of the evening was the guest pianist Rosario Marciano Prize recipient Cicilia Yudha. Yudha brought a level of passion and intensity to Schumann’s “Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 54.” She carried the dynamic and intriguing piece, which despite its length remained fresh—retaining variety through the end.

The students said they enjoyed the experience of working with such a distinguished professional. “As an aspiring musician, it is truly enlightening to perform with a master of her craft such as Cicilia Yudha. Her work with the DSO most definitely does not go unappreciated,” said Jason Maher, a freshman bassist.

The concert continued with William Schuman’s “Variations on ‘America,’” an interesting twist on a familiar tune. Finally, the concert concluded with “New England Triptych” by William Schuman, which conveyed emotions ranging from the pride and joy of a victorious nation to the bitter desolation of a man losing his friend. All in all, the Duke Symphony Orchestra performed an excellent concert, enjoyable to both music aficionados and curious freshmen alike.

Share and discuss “DSO performs at Baldwin Auditorium” on social media.