Blue Devils regroup during bye

Head coach David Cutcliffe was late to his teleconference Sunday for an unexpected reason: He had lost track of time while washing his wife’s car.

Cutcliffe called the washing “therapy,” and after four straight losses, taking time for non-football related pursuits may be just what this Duke team needs.

The Blue Devils will use their bye week to heal, rest and figure out how to improve after they came a drive away from beating Maryland Saturday.

“Midseason breaks are always the best. It’s opportune for us; it’s a chance to take a breath and think about how we can improve in all areas,” Cutcliffe said. “We have seven big ballgames left, and that’s exciting for us.”

In order to compete in those games, Duke will try to fix what has become one of its major issues—turnovers. Two weeks ago, turnovers were responsible for Army taking a lightning-fast 14-0 lead on the Blue Devils. Last week, a pick by Sean Renfree in the second quarter resulted in an 80-yard touchdown drive that put Maryland back in the game.

“After looking at the tape, [the loss] was frustrating to watch,” Cutcliffe said about the 21-16 defeat to the Terrapins. “We’re doing so many things better.... It was a breakdown of a couple of turnovers, a couple of plays defensively.”

The Blue Devils are now minus-six for the year in turnover margin, good for last place in the ACC. Cutcliffe minced no words when discussing that fact.

“We’re rock-bottom there,” he said.

In its three practices this off-week, Duke will also work on its defense, which Cutcliffe identified as the “biggest thing” still plaguing the Blue Devils.

While Duke’s defense has improved in the last two weeks—giving up only 21 points to Maryland and holding its own for an astounding 40 minutes against Army’s option offense—it still is not at the level that Duke’s coaching staff would like it to be.

However, the loss to the Terrapins does not necessarily mean the focus in practice this week is different. Cutcliffe said his team will stick to the script it has followed so far this season, and will, as always, not look past its most immediate opponent: Miami on Oct. 16.

“Whether we’re on a four-game winning streak or losing streak, this particular team has to take it one game at a time,” he said. “We’re going to go back to the same work we did last week.”

IN OTHER NEWS: Redshirt-sophomore running back Patrick Kurunwune hurt his ankle during the game against Maryland, Cutcliffe said. The extent of the injury is currently unclear.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils regroup during bye” on social media.