Thoughts on the AP Poll, Week 2

1. Is the ACC the worst conference?

The ACC had three of its four ranked teams drop out of the top 25. Virginia Tech fell the farthest, from No. 13 after losing to James Madison. Florida State laid an egg against Oklahoma, getting blown out by 30 points. Georgia Tech, meanwhile, lost as the favorite while playing at Kansas. Miami, which was hoping to have its coming-out party against Ohio State, was manhandled in a game that wasn’t as close as the 12-point margin would suggest. Despite the loss, Miami is the only remaining ACC team in the top 25.

2. Bye-bye Boise

Boise State lost the seven first place votes it had earned with its victory over then-No. 10 Virginia Tech. The Hokies’ loss could seriously damage the Broncos BCS title argument, as their supposedly-marquee win now looks like the result of Virginia Tech’s failures. Maybe David Cutcliffe was right all along.

3. Future Big Ten looking strong

While “The” Ohio State’s huge win over “The U” was a huge loss for the ACC, it also reaffirmed the resurgence of the Big Ten. While the victory kept the Buckeyes at No. 2, No. 9 Iowa and No. 8 Nebraska (who will leave the Big 12 join the Big Ten next season) both posted nonconference wins. Meanwhile, traditional power Michigan reentered the polls at No. 20 behind the stellar play of quarterback Denard "Shoelace" Robinson. Now, three teams from next year's Big Ten are in the top 10, which would be the best of any conference. As is, the current Big Ten still has two top-10 teams, tying it with the SEC. The Big 12 leads all conferences with three top-10 squads.

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll, Week 2” on social media.