Quick Hits From Cutcliffe Presser

Head coach David Cutcliffe held his weekly press conference today. Here's some highlights from his 30-minute Q&A.

Cutcliffe has been busy watching game tape from this weekend’s defeat against the reigning champs and on Duke’s upcoming opponent, too busy to edit the depth chart provided to the media during Lunch with Cut. When asked about the apparent lack of changes on the defense which has allowed 116 points through the last two games, Cutcliffe replied “To be honest, I have no idea what they gave you, but we are looking at some things and will have some changes for next week.”

One of the changes to the offense last week was true freshman Joshua Snead’s increased role in the rushing attack. Snead had great success rushing for 5.9 yards per carry on fourteen carries against one of the nation’s top defenses. When asked about Snead, Cutcliffe raved about his character.

“Josh knows no fear and he is never on his heels,” Cutcliffe said.

The head coach described this on the field and off the field.  During his recruiting visit to Snead’s home, Cutcliffe saw two motorcycles in the garage. When asked about it, Snead told Cutcliffe that he and his father both ride them. Cutcliffe then issued an order, “Not anymore, now just your daddy rides one.”

Snead’s fellow freshman running back Juwan Thompson has not had the opportunity to flourish yet. He is nursing a sore ankle, and the coaching staff is not sure when he will return.

“Unfortunately, his ankle has not responded how we have hoped,” Cutcliffe said.

There is no reason to rush him back and risk re-injury with Scott and Snead successfully carrying the load so far, but you can never have too much talent in the backfield.

“You never have enough footballs at the start of the season, but at the end of the season you never have enough backs,” Cutcliffe said.

Share and discuss “Quick Hits From Cutcliffe Presser” on social media.