RECESS  |  CULTURE

Happy Days review

Happy Days was anything but.

PlayMakers Repertory Company opened its 2010-2011 season with Happy Days by Irish avant-grade playwright Samuel Beckett, best known for his drama Waiting for Godot. Happy Days tackles life’s philosophic issues through comedy, and it's the first installment of the PRC2 second-stage series.

The play begins with the main character, Winnie, starting her morning routine: She brushes her teeth, says her prayers and contemplates the rest of her day.

Her day, however, is hardly normal. Winnie is trapped in a mound of dirt and thus is only visible from her waist up. Despite these unfortunate circumstances, she frequently (but rather unconvincingly) affirms that today will be a “happy day.” Her husband Willie’s lack of interest exaggerates the absurdity of her situation.

At first, Winnie presents a rough caricature of human behavior and leaves the audience unable to connect with her character. As the play progresses, Winnie expresses a wide range of emotions, rendering her vulnerable and therefore human.

Despite this change, the portrayal of Winnie—played by longtime company member Julie Fishell—is still wholly unsatisfying. Fishell’s frequent silences seem to stem from a lack of preparation rather than from moments of intentional contemplation. The absent connection between the audience and Winnie is painfully evident, creating an uncomfortable environment that barely allows even awkward, forced laughs from the audience.

The discussion of life and human nature that form the essence of Happy Days is just as easily found in the script of the play itself—saving you a trip to the theater.

Happy Days will run at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 8-11 and 2 p.m. Sept. 12 in PlayMakers’ Kenan Theatre at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Tickets are $10-$35 and may be purchased at www.playmakersrep.org or by calling (919) 962-PLAY (7529).

Share and discuss “Happy Days review” on social media.