Duke’s players try not to dwell on past

Duke’s season has taken a recent turn for the worse, falling short of its preseason expectations.

The Blue Devils have dropped their last three games. Their defense has struggled mightily, allowing an average of 44.5 points per game this season. An offense that began the season prolifically, sporting one of the nation’s best collegiate receivers, has begun to plateau, and maybe even decline. A football program that once firmly believed in its revival is again having doubts.

Nonetheless, the players are determined not to dwell on the past. Their performance to begin the season has been disappointing, no doubt. But Tuesday, Duke and its coach put on a brave face and said they were moving ahead.

“Everything we do, we do like winners. You’re only a loser if you let yourself be a loser,” head coach David Cutcliffe said. “We will continue to carry ourselves like winners because that’s what’s expected. And if we continue to work like winners, that’s how [we will] work [our] way out of [our slump]. That’s why I am not in a bad state of mind, because I know we will not give into being losers.”

Cutcliffe has reason to believe that his team has the potential to be “winners.” While his team’s win-loss record may not be up to standards, its performance has not been completely disappointing.

Consider the running game, which has seen sure signs of improvement from last season, when Duke’s ground attack was absent. The addition of talented freshmen and the improvement of the veteran running backs have transformed the running game into a legitimate offensive threat. The Blue Devils now have a wide array of talented backs to choose from: sophomore Desmond Scott, freshman Josh Snead and fellow freshman Juwan Thompson. The trio has combined for 474 yards this season, including 146 yards against No. 1 Alabama’s defense.

“Last year, being last in the country [in rushing yards] was something we weren’t proud of,” offensive guard David Harding said. “We knew we could do better. It’s been really nice to see some running game, and we hope to add onto that.”

Although the running game has improved, many point to Sean Renfree’s recent struggles as a cause for concern. In his last two games, he has thrown four interceptions, and his completion percentage has dropped considerably from his first two starts of the season.

But consider Renfree’s experience, and what can truly be expected from him. He has barely been the team’s starting quarterback for four weeks. As Cutcliffe explains, any drawbacks in performance shouldn’t necessarily be attributed to his inadequacies as a signal caller; rather, it’s proof that he is experiencing the “learning curve” that all quarterbacks go through.

“Some people say [Renfree] played bad [against Army],” Cutcliffe said. “But Sean Renfree is right on track. I am so encouraged about his first four starts. There is no reason for him to hang his head.”

Neither should the Duke faithful.

Share and discuss “Duke’s players try not to dwell on past” on social media.