SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Duke Tennis heads to Charlottesville

After capturing five of six overall championships at the Duke Fab Four Invite last weekend, Duke will send four players to Charlottesville, Va., to compete in the UVA Ranked Plus One Invitational starting today at the Snyder Tennis Center. Seniors Reid Carleton and Jared Pinsky and freshmen Chris Mengel and Fred Saba will all participate in both the singles and doubles sections of the competition.

Carleton, who usually teams up with sophomore Henrique Cunha to form the No.1 doubles team in the nation, will play with Saba while Pinsky will compete with Mengal.

In the singles competition, both Carleton, Mengal and Saba look to build on their singles titles from last weekend. Carleton looked particularly impressive at the Fab Four Invite, defeating Simon Childs of Lousiville 6-0, 6-1 in the section C finals. He now plays Arkansas’s Matt Hogan today at 2:00 p.m.

Familiar ground awaits Blue Devils

The Blue Devils return to an old stomping ground this weekend as they travel to Franklin, Tenn., to tee off at the Mason Rudolph Women’s Championship this weekend. Duke won the 54-hole tournament, which is hosted at the 6,281-yard, par 72 Vanderbilt Legends Club, three straight years from 2004 to 2006.

Duke’s team lineup will consist of senior Kim Donovan, sophomores Lindy Duncan and Courtney Ellenbogen and freshman Laetitia Beck and Alejandra Cangrejo. Meanwhile, sophomore Stacey Kim will get her first taste of competition this fall as she competes in the individual tournament.

The Blue Devils, who are coming off a fourth-place finish at the recent NCAA Fall Preview in Bryan, Texas, will need to play to their potential as they will face a very competitive field. Duke’s 17 competitors at the course include Alabama, Auburn, Arizona State and Southern California, all of which finished in the top-10 last year.

Sophomore Lindy Duncan, who is coming off a career best five-under-par, fourth-place finish at the Fall Preview, looks to provide a steady presence for the youthful Blue Devils.

After the Mason Rudolph Championship, Duke will participate in the Tar Heel Invitational at Finley Golf Course Oct. 8-10.

Share and discuss “Duke Tennis heads to Charlottesville” on social media.