Blue Devils look to bounce back

After falling to No. 12 Minnesota 3-0 Saturday, Duke is looking to bounce back and regain the momentum lost after the Gophers (8-1) broke the team’s eight-game winning streak.

At Cameron Indoor Stadium tonight at 7 p.m., Duke (8-2, 0-0 in the ACC) looks to erase any memories of last week’s loss by coming out strong in its first conference match against Wake Forest.

The Blue Devils are optimistic that they will return to their winning ways but are expecting a challenge from the Demon Deacons (6-3, 0-0).

Entering the match with three straight sweeps under its belt, Wake Forest will be competitive, possessing a scrappy team with a strong defensive mind-set that will force Duke to earn every point.

“We need to be disciplined throughout rallies tomorrow,” head coach Jolene Nagel said. “It is important for us to be alert and be loud in our defensive communication because Wake Forest is going to keep the ball in play.”

Duke has performed well in conference play in the last few years, finishing the 2009 season with a 17-3 record in ACC play and finishing second in the conference behind a Florida State team that ended its season with a 19-1 record.

“It’s exciting to start playing ACC matches,” said senior Becci Burling, who leads the team with 110 total kills. “Teams usually bring their best game against us, so it’s important for us to be mentally ready for some tough matches.”

This week, the team has been working hard both on and off the court to better prepare for the Wake Forest match.

Junior Sophia Dunworth, who is second behind Burling in total kills with 97, said the team’s work with team psychologist Greg Taylor has helped a lot.

“[Talking with him helps] us to determine what we want to get out of an upcoming practice or match and helps us in the long run to get better,” Dunworth said.

Nagel said the home support that the team has been getting this season has been great and attributes the dedication of the fans to some of the team’s success.

“With Cameron, there is a certain comfort level,” she said. “One of our biggest strengths is when we have a large student body come out and support the team.”

The date of the match is also beneficial. Friday night matches have drawn large crowds at Cameron this season, Nagel said, and the team is excited to get back into rhythm.

“We are hungry to win every opportunity we get,” Nagel said. “The fact that it’s a home match as well as our ACC opener just adds to all the excitement.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devils look to bounce back” on social media.