Duke looks to highlight global service

With an international campus underway and increasing student involvement abroad, Duke is launching a year-long initiative to highlight the University’s growing commitment to global development.

“A World Together: Duke and Global Development,” will showcase Duke’s strengthening ties abroad and its dedication to service in all areas of the world.

The initiative comes as an effort to foster an international service-oriented community at Duke in which faculty, students and staff can exchange experiences and knowledge about various underdeveloped regions worldwide, according to a Duke News release.

To supervise and enhance Duke’s international commitments, the University appointed Greg Jones as vice president and vice provost for global strategy and programs. Jones previously served as dean of the Divinity School.

“Duke has a long and vibrant history of concern for global development,” Jones said in the release. “We are going to celebrate that history and look to the future, identifying ways to enhance our commitment to work with developing countries on issues of education, research and outreach. This is an exciting time for Duke as it develops its identity globally.”

The idea for the initiative was developed by several faculty and staff members who have volunteered for the Peace Corps. With the growing number of international programs like DukeEngage, the Peace Corps volunteers decided to combine a Peace Corps alumni reunion with a broader effort to showcase the University’s growing role in the underdeveloped world. As this year will mark the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps­—for which hundreds of Duke alumni have served—the group decided that this year would be ideal to share information about the developing world with Duke and the Durham community.

A main event of “A World Together” will be the alumni association’s annual Duke In Depth weekend, which will focus on the University and global development. The alumni association hopes this conference­ will attract a diverse mixture of people including Duke affiliates, members of the Durham community, Peace Corps volunteers and developmental organizations. It will be held Feb. 25 to Feb. 26.

“A World Together,” also will bring speakers and events to the University throughout the academic year, starting in September during Duke’s Homecoming. Charles MacCormack, president and CEO of Save the Children, will give a lecture on Sept. 23 titled “Rethinking Developmental Policy.” The event is sponsored by the Duke Center for International Development, the Provost’s Lecture Series and the alumni association.

Share and discuss “Duke looks to highlight global service” on social media.