Angelou encourages courage, humility

Poet Maya Angelou speaks to freshmen in the Duke Chapel Sunday, an annual event during the University’s orientation week.

Several minutes into her speech, Maya Angelou abruptly requested that her microphone stand be moved closer to the edge of the stage so that she could have a better view of the audience.

“I want to see people, I want them to see me. I have something to say.”

As part of a Duke tradition stretching back to 1989, Angelou, a civil rights icon known best for her 1969 biography “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings,” addressed freshmen in the Chapel Sunday. Angelou, Reyonlds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University, urged the Class of 2014 to remember their common humanity and to abandon feelings of superiority and inferiority, emphasizing the idea that “we are more alike than unalike.”

Angelou, who is fluent in several languages as well as a successful writer, also spoke of the importance of language and began her address with a multilingual spiritual. Angelou described language as a means of exploration of the self as well as others, suggesting that “language is a key so you can understand who you are.”

Although Angelou is now 82 and was escorted to and from the speaking platform, the tone of her address was engaging and dynamic. She caught many students off guard with her frequent inclusion of humor, at one point attributing her fame to the fact that she looks “just like Maya Angelou.” Several times throughout the speech, the Chapel echoed with the laughter of students. But Angelou discussed a number of serious matters as well, including courage, leadership and race relations.

“I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul,” said Angelou, quoting British poet William Ernest Henley. Angelou emphasized the use of poetry as a means of introspection, saying that through poetry, “in the worst of times you can see the possibility of seeing light.”

Angelou urged the audience to search within themselves for excellence, and followed by outlining the need for leaders of tomorrow. She called for racial harmony and told students to “lay the burden of ignorance down.”

Students began arriving to the Chapel more than 45 minutes prior to her appearance Sunday afternoon, eager to hear the words of a renowned speaker.

Audrey Adu-Appiah, a freshman who managed to get a seat near the front, admired Angelou’s style as well as her message.

Everything she said was really poetic,” Adu-Appiah said after the speech, “and the idea of poetry as an emblem made me feel more connected and grounded.”

For the past 16 years, Angelou’s address has been presented by Delta Gamma sorority. Angelou’s appearance is a part of the Dorothy Garrett Martin Lectureship in Values and Ethics.

“This is a huge honor. Her words tie in with the goals of Duke,” said Delta Gamma President Becki Feinglos. “She promotes diversity, tolerance and friendship.”

After Angelou’s speech, freshman were encouraged to sign the Duke Community Standard outside the Chapel, confirming their promises to live up to the rules of their new home.

“It was a perfect end to orientation week,” said freshman Jill Prier.

Share and discuss “Angelou encourages courage, humility” on social media.