Receivers adjust to quarterback’s departure

Donovan Varner makes the transition to a new quarterback this year.

Last year, Duke fans grew accustomed to watching receivers Donovan Varner and Conner Vernon running loose through opposing secondaries, snagging bullet after bullet from quarterback Thaddeus Lewis. This year, they’ll have to make the adjustment to being targets for first-year starter Sean Renfree.

Renfree will have the luxury of transitioning into the starting role with two players who finished among the top 10 leaders in receiving yards for the ACC. Varner, the leading returning receiver in the conference, and Vernon have been quick to help their quarterback prepare for his first year. The new signal caller appreciated the assistance.

“They are both fast, great athletes, and have tremendous ball skills,” Renfree said. “But the thing that goes really unnoticed with these two is how hard they work. They are always willing to go out and run routes and catch balls for me.”

Even though they will miss Lewis, who became only the second passer in ACC history to top 10,000 yards for his career, the receiving corps is more than confident that Renfree will be a capable thrower. In fact, they see much in common between the quarterback and his predecessor.

“I see a lot of similarities between Thad and Sean [rather than] differences,” Varner said. “It starts with the work ethic and desire with both of these guys. But, they’re also great leaders and know where to put the ball as passers.”

Just as Varner doesn’t think much will be different catching from Renfree, the offensive game plan will likewise undergo little change. The coaching staff has been high on Renfree’s ability ever since the beginning stages of his recruitment, believing he can do everything Lewis did— and more.

“Our system is our system,” offensive coordinator Kurt Roper said. “In this offense, you have to be able to throw the football, and we know Sean is a guy that can play the game from the pocket.”

That mentality is why Vernon, Varner and the third member of the starting group, Austin Kelly, were able to combine for 2,418 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns last season. While each of the receivers have individual talents, whether it’s Varner’s ability in the slot or Vernon’s knack for winning the jump ball, the one trait the group has in common is the ability to make plays after the catch.

“You have to have guys who can turn easy completions into big plays,” Roper said. “It’s comforting to a quarterback to know that we can make a big drive shorter due to the explosive plays.”

While much will be made this season of the change at the quarterback, the receiving corps continue to stress that for them, football is football. They will continue to run their routes, catch the ball, and look to make the most of their playmaking abilities.

And if Renfree is as talented as popular opinion suggests, the wideouts will have plenty of opportunities.

Share and discuss “Receivers adjust to quarterback’s departure” on social media.