Looking Back: Senior Year

Students gather on Main West Quadrangle to celebrate the men’s basketball team’s NCAA national championship win.

In a senior year characterized by budget cuts and new plans, the Class of 2010 saw many policy and physical changes to campus, including an NCAA trophy in the men’s basketball case.

In response to the economic downturn President Richard Brodhead announced in Spring 2009 a plan to cut the University’s budget by $125 million over three years. In October, a financial statement revealed that the University’s net assets had fallen 29.1 percent, from more than $8.6 billion to more than $6.1 billion, largely due to investment losses.

The University took several major steps toward becoming a smaller Duke in the Class of 2010’s senior year. The Duke Administrative Reform Team looked for administrative and operational reductions, including instituting a vacancy management program and  reducing overtime hours.

In the summer and Fall, officials offered retirement incentives to 825 bi-weekly and 198 monthly paid employees who met specific criteria. By January, 295 bi-weekly and 89 monthly employees had decided to accept the incentives, saving the University an estimated $27.5 million.

Cuts continued in December, when students learned of 10 percent budget cuts for all departments in the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences. All told, cuts made in 2009-2010 totalled an estimated $60 million, officials said.

In an e-mail to the Duke community in March, Brodhead stated that benefits-eligible employees making $80,000 or less annually will receive a one-time payment of $1,000 for fiscal year 2011—which runs from July 2010 to June 2011. Although the pay freeze instituted last fiscal year for all employees is still in effect, about 70 percent of University employees were eligible for this payout.

One cost-cutting attempt elicited student outcry on campus. In November 2009, the University announced it would merge the Center for Multicultural Affairs with the International House and lay off two Multicultural Center employees. The announcement prompted more than 150 students to voice their concerns to administrators at a student-organized forum. The administration delayed the merger pending the creation of a task force that would include students in the decision.

The Spring of the Class of 2010’s senior year also brought some brighter economic news for the University. Due to positive endowment performance, administrators estimated that the University’s budget deficit was closer to $100 million than $125 million. With the recalculation, the University is now faced with cutting its budget by $40 million in the next two years. Despite financial setbacks, the University continued to expand in other areas. In October, Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost for undergraduate education, announced the addition of the new “K4” wing to Keohane dormitory.

University officials also started work on a campus in Kunshan, China, following two years of negotiation for partnership. The Kunshan government will provide more than 200 acres of land for research, education and housing. The Fuqua School of Business will be the first to use the Kunshan site following its completion.

The Duke University Health System also began to expand this year. In August 2009, DUHS announced plans to construct a new cancer center and medical pavilion at the Duke University Hospital—a program that will cost more than $700 million. The cancer center will consolidate services offered to patients in one building, and the medical pavilion will increase the number of operating suites and hospital rooms available.

Fall 2009 was also marked by warnings about the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, that had plagued Duke’s campus since the summer. At its height, University officials confirmed 50 cases of the flu on campus, but suspected that as many as 120 students had contracted the virus. In October, Duke University Health System made the H1N1 spray vaccine available at clinics, and instances of swine flu leveled off by Thanksgiving.

Several campus processes changed dramatically this year, too. Duke Student Government tasked senior Amanda Turner, special secretary for the Young Trustee process, with re-evaluting the undergraduate Young Trustee selection process to eliminate bias and encourage more diverse candidates. Previously, members of DSG and the Inter-Community Council voted on candidates for the position. After DSG President Awa Nur, a senior, vetoed the initial bylaw proposing an undergraduate election, the Senate passed a bylaw allowing the student body to elect the Young Trustee from a pool of three finalists. Two months later, senior John Harpham became the first elected Young Trustee, winning an instant runoff election by three votes.

The Residential Group Assessment Committee completed its three-year review of selective living groups and fraternities on campus in November, prompting selective living groups and fraternities to voice concerns that the process was opaque, inconsistent and discriminated against some groups. Although living group locations were shuffled according to this year’s results, administrators eliminated section shuffling and Campus Council implemented a new evaluation process, the Collaborative Housing Process, in April.  

The Class of 2010 witnessed some resounding victories during its senior year, as well.

After nearly a decade without an NCAA title in men’s basketball, the Class of 2010’s senior year was marked by campus-wide celebration as the team secured the fourth national championship in the program’s history.

The championship season—led by senior Jon Scheyer and juniors Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith—also featured two wins over the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and an ACC championship.

Thousands of students watched the national championship game in Cameron Indoor Stadium, as Duke battled it out against Butler University, winning the national title by two points.

Despite an opening loss against the University of Richmond, head football coach David Cutcliffe led the team to five victories during the season, one more than last year. But an incident off the field attracted negative attention. In January, freshman players John Drew, Kyle Griswould and Brandon Putnam were charged with discharging a weapon on Duke property, a felony. The players were dismissed from the team and barred from campus until the charges are resolved.

In November, the University revealed the Climate Action Plan, a project to reduce the University’s carbon emissions by 45 percent by 2024. The plan’s most expensive project is the renovation of the East Campus Steam Plant scheduled for completion this year. It will reduce the plant’s emissions by as much as 85 percent and cost $20 to $25 million.

At the end of the year, George McLendon, dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences and dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, announced he was leaving Duke to become provost of Rice University.

Share and discuss “Looking Back: Senior Year” on social media.