McLendon to take provost post at Rice

George McLendon, dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences and dean of Trinity College, will leave Duke at the end of the academic year to become provost of Rice University.

McLendon will effectively step down May 24 to assume his new responsibilities at Rice, Provost Peter Lange said. McLendon’s dedication to the sciences, research and interdisciplinary studies—especially given Rice’s emphasis on engineering—will make him an effective leader there, Lange said.

“He’s been a superb dean for us. He’s really raised our sights in terms of the type of faculty that we can hire,” Lange said. “He’s very interested in undergraduate education, as shown by some of the things that he’s done as dean.”

Lange said McLendon told him a number of weeks ago that Rice was considering him for the job. Lange said he was aware that if offered the job, McLendon would seriously consider leaving Duke.

McLendon could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

He sent an e-mail to the Trinity College Board of Visitors around 6 p.m. Tuesday notifying its members of his departure.

“I also have personal news, which, for me, is bittersweet,” McLendon wrote. “After considerable deliberation, I have decided to return to my home state to accept the position of Provost at Rice University. I will take with me many lessons learned and friendships nurtured at Duke. High among those will be our many accomplishments together.”

Rice is located in Houston, and McLendon, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, noted that the opportunity to take a position there would allow him to return to his home state. He wrote that the board’s meeting over the weekend would provide an opportunity to more completely discuss his departure.

John Burness, former senior vice president for public affairs and government relations, said McLendon has been a strategic leader for the University since his arrival.

“He was someone that people went to for advice for a wide range of issues,” Burness said. “He bridged gaps—he was not just interested in the sciences.... He was interested in a very broad range of intellectual areas.... I think most of us expected that George would be a provost someday. He’s going to a very good place.”

McLendon was serving as the chair of Princeton University’s chemistry department when he accepted the dean of the faculty position in January 2004. His arrival at Duke closely coincided with the arrival of President Richard Brodhead, who was named the successor to Nan Keohane Dec. 12, 2003 by the Board of Trustees.

Dean of the Natural Sciences Alvin Crumbliss, also a chemist by training, will serve as interim dean of the faculty of arts and sciences. Lange said his term will begin May 24 and run through the 2010-2011 academic year. Crumbliss will provide Duke with steady leadership, he added.

Crumbliss could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

A national search, which will consider candidates from both inside and outside the Duke community, is set to begin in approximately a month but will likely not end until Spring 2011, Lange said.

Share and discuss “McLendon to take provost post at Rice” on social media.