CULTURE  |  MUSIC

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

LCD Soundsystem follows up on 2007’s highly successful Sound of Silver with their (supposedly) final album, This Is Happening. All of their trademarks are present: the fusion between infectious dance music and punk-influenced rock, pervasive drum machine and James Murphy’s sharp wit. It may not be as immediately accessible and dance-ready as the band’s previous albums, but this is truly the group’s masterpiece.

On the surface, This Is Happening sticks closely to the pattern set by its predecessor, sporting a similar sequence of nine tracks. Opener “Dance Yrself Clean,” with its backing drum loops, is as hypnotic as its counterpart “Get Innocuous!”, and lead single “Drunk Girls” is as abrasive and high octane as Sound of Silver single “North American Scum.” Both albums have similarly titled centerpieces: “All I Want” echoes “All My Friends,” employing sentimental, introspective lyrics and cyclical piano and guitar refrains.

Despite these similarities, LCD Soundsystem’s last project is a stylistically unique beast. The aforementioned opener transforms into a thunderous cascade of synthesizers reminiscent of the Knife. “All I Want” is the album’s highlight, dissolving into warbling keyboards that threaten to swallow the forlorn vocals. The quirky “Pow Pow” blends layers of percussion, twinkling synthesizers and spoken word. It’s not until “Home,” the album’s finale, that the band returns to its roots and (ostensbily) closes its career with one last carefree dance number.

As always, James Murphy’s vocals ground the album, keeping the music emotional even within this computerized landscape. Murphy spans a full vocal range and myriad styles with grace and ease. This may be LCD Soundsystem’s swan song, but This Is Happening is a hell of a way to end an era.

Share and discuss “LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening” on social media.