Hoof N Horn toes careful line with Rent

Emotionally cloying, hilarious, heavily messaged and beautifully written, Rent is perhaps the most iconic representation of the 1990s there is. When trying to recreate something so distinct, failures are easy.

Hoof ‘n’ Horn has managed to avoid that sad fate, but the margin isn’t significant. Playwright Jonathan Larson’s distinctive style and talent shine through and even when the students miss, Larson’s pen keeps the audience engaged.

The show opens on Roger (sophomore Alex Brockhoff) and Mark (graduate student in chemistry Brian Watts) sitting in their apartment as—a wooden table and a wall of metal sheeting. Life-challenged Mark is shooting a documentary film, while HIV-infected Roger tries to compose one great song before his death.

Watts captures a certain quirkiness that charms the audience. Brockhoff, on the other hand, is the pretty boy who often lacks the vocal talent and emotional veracity demanded by the character. There is a glimmer of real talent there that doesn’t shine through fully.

Soon the adventures, or rather misadventures, of these 20-something New Yorkers reveal the rest of the motley crew. As Roger and Mark’s friend Tom Collins, senior Aidan Stallworth uses his unique vocals and campy acting to great advantage. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill senior Aaron Salley does a decent job playing the demanding role of drag queen Angel Dumott Schunard, but sometimes misses when singing.

Mark meets his ex-girlfriend’s current girlfriend, Joanne (senior Brittany Duck), in the spicy number “Tango: Maureen,” where Watts and Duck are electric.

At this point of the production, the staging of the show starts to break down. Choreographed dances by the ensemble detract from the organic feel of the play. The show tries for controlled chaos, but often step too far into a whirlwind of ridiculousness when the whole ensemble is on stage in songs like “Santa Fe.”

It isn’t until halfway through Act I that the strongest actor really appears, but she makes quite an entrance. Freshman Ryan Murphy takes the role of Maureen and does an excellent job filling and interpreting the character. During “Over the Moon” she sports denim-printed tights while singing, doing back-bends and pretending to drink milk from an imaginary cow, all without seeming overblown, This is, in a word, impressive.

Act II opens with the well-known “Seasons of Love,” where ensemble member junior Amber Sembly establishes herself as another standout actor. Her solo elicits chills and her small roles show thoughtfulness and star-quality. Simply put, she’s a breath of fresh air.

The second act shows greater refinement than the first and builds into a more enjoyable show. It is touching and light-hearted in turn and never disingenuous.

The entire ensemble finishes on a feel-good high note with a reprise of “Seasons of Love,” once again featuring Sembly’s spot-on vocals. As the cast takes a bow, it’s easy to believe that there is no day but today.

Rent premieres tonight at 8 p.m. in Reynolds Theater and will play the April 9-10, 15-18 and also May 14-15.

Share and discuss “Hoof N Horn toes careful line with Rent” on social media.