Concert will celebrate K4 groundbreaking

At their meeting Wednesday, members of Campus Council discussed plans to celebrate the opening of The Devil’s Bistro and the groundbreaking for the fourth wing of Keohane Quadrangle.  The Old Duke concert will be held April 16, the same day as the K4 groundbreaking.
At their meeting Wednesday, members of Campus Council discussed plans to celebrate the opening of The Devil’s Bistro and the groundbreaking for the fourth wing of Keohane Quadrangle. The Old Duke concert will be held April 16, the same day as the K4 groundbreaking.

Campus Council will soon throw parties to celebrate the end of one campus construction project and the beginning of another.

A celebration for the completion of Mill Village and the opening of The Devil’s Bistro restaurant on Central Campus will be held the night of April 9. The annual Old Duke concert will take up much of the afternoon of April 16, and will serve as a groundbreaking ceremony for the fourth wing of Keohane Quadrangle, code-named K4.

“We have an incredible group of acoustic artists who will hopefully provide for a very relaxing atmosphere,” said Programming Chair Ben Goldenberg, a sophomore. “Hopefully the weather will be nice and people can just chill. I can’t think of a better way to spend a Friday afternoon.”

Musical artist Brendan James will open the show and will be followed by Howie Day and Mat Kearney. Edie Wellman, a junior who is taking the semester off to pursue music, will also perform at the event, which will be held in Keohane Quadrangle.

In addition to live music, there will be grilling and contests with prizes and giveaways. Steve Nowicki, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, will be present for the groundbreaking.

At its meeting Thursday, Campus Council endorsed a resolution to establish seven neighborhoods on Central Campus to improve its navigability and foster a sense of community on Central.

“It is very hard to navigate Central Campus right now,” said Vice President John Pryor, a junior. “The building addresses don’t correspond to an intuitive map system—even some Central Campus residents can’t find their friends there.”

Of the seven neighborhoods, six would be residential areas that comprise the living quarters on Central Campus and one would be reserved for Mill Village, according to the resolution.

“This is something I’m very excited about,” said President Stephen Temple, a junior. “It is a simple, low cost [and] low effort change with a huge impact.”

In other business:

The council also unanimously embraced a host of recommendations directed at improving the sense of community on East and West Campuses by reworking the role graduate residents play in residence halls.

The recommendations look to improve the visibility and efficacy of graduate residents on campus by giving them greater access to programming funds and placing more emphasis on their training before the start of the school year.

Following the recommendations, graduate residents would be able to apply for funding from the Campus Council Finance Committee to host dorm activities in $50 increments.

Share and discuss “Concert will celebrate K4 groundbreaking” on social media.