Concert celebrates Chapel’s 75th year

Duke Chapel Choir and organists perform during a concert celebrating the Chapel’s 75th anniversary Sunday.

About 4,000 alumni gathered on campus this weekend as the Duke Chapel celebrated its 75th anniversary.

Chapel staff decided alumni weekend was the best time to appreciate the history of the Chapel because both old and new students would be present to participate in the events, Dean of the Chapel Sam Wells said.

Events included a worship service Sunday morning led by William Willimon, former dean of the Chapel and current bishop of the North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church. A concert was also held in the afternoon featuring the Duke Chapel Choir and organists.

“[The Chapel] has been a great towering influence on the lives of those who came to the University,” Wells said.

Wells noted that although 75 years may seem like a long time, it is only the beginning for the Chapel, adding that 75 years is a relatively short time in Chapel history.  

Construction of the Chapel began in 1930 and was completed in 1935 under Julian Abele, the chief architect for the Chapel. Structural changes over the past 75 years included the replacement of several wooden pews with wooden chairs after a fire in 1971 and the current restoration of the Chapel windows.

Wells also said he hopes to bring “faith to intellect and intellect to faith,” despite the increasing religious diversity on Duke’s campus.

“We hope the Chapel can be close to [all] hearts, despite religious affiliations,” he added.

Wells also emphasized the need to reach out to current students.

“We recognize that the nature of the student body is changing,” he said. “There are not as many people who naturally [or] immediately find a home at the Chapel so it’s important for the Chapel to find them.”

In a speech to alumni Saturday, President Richard Brodhead noted that the Chapel has been a point of inspiration on campus.

Brodhead compared the success of the Chapel construction, which occurred during the Great Depression, to the progress of the University through the recent economic downturn.

“Anyone can do well in an upturn, let’s see what we can do in a downturn,” he said.

The Chapel not only holds significance for those on campus, but also for those living in the Durham area.

Durham resident Meri-Frances Rega, whose fiancé has sung in the chapel choir for the past 10 years, noted that the Chapel is a large part of the community. She added that she and her fiancé will get married in the Chapel this June.

“Being able to get married in the Duke Chapel is the icing on the cake,” she said.

Share and discuss “Concert celebrates Chapel’s 75th year” on social media.