SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Blue Devils up for revenge vs. No. 1 Heels

Senior Elizabeth Plotkin won her match against North Carolina’s third seed in February, yet the Blue Devils came up short in that meeting.

In college tennis, it’s not every day you get the chance to avenge a loss, especially to your greatest rival.

Unlike in basketball, conference foes play each other just once a season, and Wednesday’s matchup between No. 5 Duke and top-ranked North Carolina at Ambler Tennis Stadium was the only meeting between the two on the preseason schedule.

But at the prestigious National Team Indoor Championship in mid-February, the Blue Devils—the defending national champions and the favorites in the event—were upset by the Tar Heels, who went on to win the tournament. That victory propelled North Carolina (19-3, 6-0 in the ACC) up the national rankings, and the Tar Heels now stand at No. 1—a position Duke began the year in and believes it can earn back this week.

Both teams have clearly shown that they are the class of their conference. North Carolina had a close call against then-No. 34 Virginia in Charlottesville, a match the Tar Heels hung onto 4-3, but have won their five other ACC contests comfortably.

Duke (17-2, 5-0) has torn through ACC play, and has yet to drop more than two points against any conference opponent.

Wednesday afternoon, though, only one of those streaks can continue, and the victor will leave Durham with the inside track to the ACC regular season championship.

In the two teams’ first meeting—a 4-3 Tar Heel victory—North Carolia benefited from strong play in doubles and at the top of its singles rotation. The Tar Heels won two of out three doubles matches to earn that point, and in singles, Duke’s top two players—Reka Zsilinszka and Ellah Nze—were both beaten.

Notably, senior Elizabeth Plotkin won her match at No. 3 singles, and she has been one of Duke’s most consistent performers all year while playing as high as No. 1 against some opponents.

She will need to be at her best against a tough North Carolina squad, and a win Wednesday afternoon—coming on the heels of Duke’s victory over then-No. 1 Northwestern two weeks ago—could boost the Blue Devils back to the top of the national rankings.

Doubles action begins Wednesday in Ambler at 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils up for revenge vs. No. 1 Heels” on social media.