Union plans to revamp committees

At the group’s meeting Tuesday night, Duke University Union members discuss plans to combine the Major Speakers and LiveEnt committees.

Duke University Union is looking into two possible structural reforms within the Major Speakers and Special Projects committees. 

At their meeting Tuesday night, DUU members discussed combining Major Speakers and LiveEnt into one committee. A separate reform proposal was to split Special Projects into two committees—Innovation and Annual Events.

“Even though none of this is official yet, these are the changes we are looking into for improving DUU,” said President Zach Perret, a senior. 

Perret said several LiveEnt members are going abroad next semester and the committee’s role diminished after the Durham Performing Arts Center opened. He added that it seemed logical to combine LiveEnt with Major Speakers to create one large, effective group. Each committee had a budget of $60,000 this year, and will likely have approximately $90,000 if merging gets finalized, saving DUU almost $30,000.

The new committee’s mission will be to bring live performances in accordance with DUU’s overall mission such as speakers, plays, musicals and other stage performances, said Vice President of Communications Karen Chen, a junior. She noted that merging would not be difficult because both groups have similar responsibilities and have already co-sponsored events in the past. The committees are relatively small as well, with LiveEnt currently having about six active members. 

DUU members also discussed dividing the Special Projects committee into Innovation and Annual Events committees. 

“We wanted to have separate groups for holding annual events such as Duke Royale and another one group exploring new possible ideas,” Chen said. 

Perret said the Innovative committee would carry out new programs and establish these events as annual traditions before transferring them to an appropriate committee. 

In other business:

Ticket sales for the April 1 Cameron Rocks concert began 9 a.m. Monday morning and sold approximately 2,000 tickets by noon, said Major Attractions Director Liz Turner, a senior. By the end of the day, almost 2,500 tickets were sold.

“The sales for general audience begins tomorrow and we expect to sell out,” Turner said. “It will be awesome.”

Sales are available at the Duke Box Office and also online. Students can purchase tickets for $25. 

Share and discuss “Union plans to revamp committees” on social media.