Senior trio brings attitude to Blue Devils

There is a certain expectation of leadership that comes with being a senior. Having three years of play at the collegiate level under their belts, seniors often set the tone for the team—not necessarily by netting the most points or registering the most boards, but by relying on their experience to drive their team through trying situations.

And Duke’s three seniors, Joy Cheek, Bridgette Mitchell and Kenturah Jackson, have performed that role to a tee.  

“I definitely think they all have different leadership qualities,” junior forward Karima Christmas said. “They all have their own qualities but they’re definitely great leaders. They just bring energy. They bring energy in different ways.”

The senior trio has been a pillar of consistency for the No. 9 Blue Devils, stepping up and executing when the team has needed it most.

Last Friday’s game against then-No. 18 Virginia illustrated their reliability. Cheek, Mitchell and Jackson propelled Duke to a 83-65 victory over the Cavaliers, a win that guaranteed the Blue Devils at least a share of the ACC regular season title. Cheek showed off her offensive tenacity, bucketing 13 points for Duke, while Mitchell and Jackson demonstrated their athleticism and versatility. Mitchell added eight points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals, and Jackson contributed four points, four rebounds, two assists, two blocks and a steal.  

“I’m very happy for the seniors,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said after the Virginia game. “I thought all of them played pretty well and were very aggressive.”

The feeling of being ACC regular season champions is nothing new for the Class of 2010. The trio garnered the same title in 2007 and has strived to repeat the feat ever since. With this season being their last at Duke, they have stepped up in a big way to improve the level of play for the entire team.

They have also been consistent with their leadership style, which sometimes involved not being afraid to hurt the feelings of their teammates with constructive criticism.

“I think I see more of our team demanding more from each other, not being ready to accept less,” McCallie said. “We’re not a sensitive team. There’s a lot said out there in terms of holding people accountable. Our team is not sensitive and they’re willing to pay the price of analysis, critical thought.”

Each senior has her own leadership style and skill set on the court, which gives this team more depth and adaptability than the typical roster. Cheek brings an offensive energy, while Mitchell is a leader on the boards. Jackson often sparks the Blue Devils on defense.  

“We’ve really been striving to be great leaders for the team, both in practice and in games, showing the right demeanor, right attitude, positive energy,” Mitchell said. “That’s what we’ve been focusing on as seniors.”

In game situations, the seniors’ experience enables them to be leaders on the court. They were role models for younger players during high-pressure situations, maintaining their composure and executing when the team needed it most.   

“I think the seniors have definitely been big with emotion and they’re definitely playing like this is their last year and they have nothing else but to give it all,” junior guard Jasmine Thomas said. “Their leadership on the floor, always being able to turn to them, when we need something big done in the game, whether it’s a rebound or a steal or a bucket, we can get it from any of them. They’ve been big for us.”

Although their final regular season as Blue Devils is complete, Cheek, Mitchell and Jackson are not ready to hang up their jerseys just yet. The trio should get to play two more games in Cameron Indoor Stadium—the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament will be held there—but this group of seniors has its sights set long past those early stages.

“I still don’t think of this as the last game,” Cheek said after Duke’s Senior Night. “I think the last NCAA game that we have will resonant a little more. I felt like I was coming back after [Friday]. That was the mindset that I had. I guess I’ll have another Senior Night.”

Share and discuss “Senior trio brings attitude to Blue Devils” on social media.