K4 work will impact Edens first

Associate Dean for Residential Life Joe Gonzalez said during an info session Wednesday night that K4 constructions will cause power outages and disturbances to Edens and Keohane Quadrangles this semester.

As of Feb. 15, students living in Edens and Keohane Quadrangles should expect short power outages, noise disturbances and closed walkways.

Associate Dean for Residential Life Joe Gonzalez and Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost of undergraduate education, held an informational meeting in McClendon Tower Wednesday night to answer questions from students regarding the construction of K4, a fourth residential section of Keohane. Only seven students attended the session.

The first phase of construction involves placing a fence around the quad before the area undergoes extensive upheaval to relocate utility lines.

“Nearly every utility that services West Campus runs through the Keohane courtyard,” Gonzalez said. “We can’t work until we reroute all those lines.”

Although the construction will take place near Keohane, the first phase will affect Edens residents the most, Gonzalez said. Although the McClendon Tower walkway will not be disturbed, several stairwells from Edens to the main quad will be closed.  

Power outages will last between one to three hours and may affect hot water, electricity and heat. Students will receive a notice five days in advance for any utility disruption, though unexpected shutdowns may occur, Gonzalez said. Additional information regarding construction will also be posted on the housing Web site to keep students up to date.

“The biggest issue for my residents will be the noise, especially when they’re trying to study in their rooms,” said junior Trisha Lowe, a resident assistant in Edens. “Edens echoes. I think the noise will be a bigger problem than the University thinks it will be.”

The construction noise will continue all semester, primarily affecting residents in Edens 1A and 1C.

“We are dealing with heavy machinery digging up concrete,” Gonzalez said. “It will be loud.”

The main construction on the building’s exterior is expected to begin Oct. 1 and finish by February 2011. If there are no delays, K4 will be completed by Aug. 1, 2011.

“It’s a very ambitious timeline of 18 months, which is maybe 50 percent shorter than other projects of this magnitude,” Gonzalez said. “It’ll take a lot of hard and efficient work, but we think we can make this date.”

Nowicki added that K4 is not meant to replace New Campus, which was postponed due to financial constraints. As a short-term solution, K4 will add 150 beds to Keohane, increasing its residential space to about the size of Edens. Along with single and double rooms, the new addition will also include classrooms, common rooms and the introduction of two-story suites.

“The reason we’re rushing this is for students,” Nowicki said. “I want to demonstrate our commitment to improving the residential experience for students who are here right now.”

Share and discuss “K4 work will impact Edens first” on social media.