DUU celebrates WISER opening

At their weekly meeting Tuesday, DUU members discuss co-hosting Jazz at the Mary Lou with the Women’s Institute of Secondary Education and Research to celebrate the opening of the WISER school in Kenya.

Duke University Union is  jazzed about charity work in Kenya.

At their meeting Tuesday night, DUU members discussed tonight’s Jazz at the Mary Lou concert, which will be co-hosted by the Women’s Institute for Secondary Education and Research from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m in honor of the successful opening of the WISER school in Kenya.

“It’s a perfect opportunity to enjoy music by Jazz at and learn about what WISER does,” said junior Camille Creed, Jazz director.

Creed said the event is a celebration of the accomplishments WISER has made in Kenya and to raise awareness about their work.

WISER is a non-profit organization that has worked for the past several years to build the all-girls secondary and research boarding school in Muhuru Bay, Kenya and to provide better secondary education conditions to young girls in the area.

She noted WISER will be giving a video and other visual presentations of its work and successes in Kenya.

In other business:

The rXn Dance Party, originally scheduled for Jan. 30 but delayed due to last weekend’s snowfall, will take place in February, said Special Projects Director Christie Falco, a senior.

She said DUU is currently coordinating facilities to reserve the Wilson Gym as the venue. DUU is also working to book the DJ and is cooperating with Duke Police to provide security. Falco added that there will not be any major changes to the event, and Duke men’s basketball and the line monitors will still co-sponsor the event.

The Union Consulting Group is looking to expand and reach out to a wider range of student groups, said junior Will Benesh, DUU vice president of external affairs.

The UCG was created last year by current President Zach Perret, a senior, and provides event-oriented consulting to help student groups with programming and financial management, Benesh said. Although UCG started a brochure advertising campaign in November, Benesh added that the UCG has helped more than 15 student groups in two years.

Share and discuss “DUU celebrates WISER opening” on social media.