Duncan would advance career development as YT

Graduate Young Trustee Finalist Alethea Duncan said her experience as GPSC president and her love for Duke make her a strong candidate for the position.

Alethea Duncan believes she knows the issues that get to the heart of graduate student life.  

Duncan, a fifth-year Ph.D. candidate in chemistry who will graduate this year, is one of three finalists for graduate Young Trustee. Duncan said she is pursuing the post to serve the University she loves so much and feels committed to.

“I have love for Duke,” Duncan said. “I know many people have more allegiance to their undergraduate institution but as a graduate student, I’ve been here longer than I’ve been at my undergrad.”

In her five years at Duke as a graduate student, Duncan said she has been able to develop a deep attachment to the Duke community.

In addition, Duncan said her experience in numerous executive positions will serve her well on the Board.

Last year, she served as president of the Graduate and Professional Student Council, in addition to having performed other leadership roles in GPSC over three previous years. She is currently a member of the Board of Trustees Institutional Advancement Committee, and said she has found this role to be both satisfying and enriching.

“It definitely helped me learn what the Board does, how they communicate, build relationships,” she said. “I have always been a people-watcher. So, it was really good to take a step back and see how the dynamics of the Board happens and what is the best way to approach certain situations.”

Duncan noted that one thing that has helped her succeed as a leader is her ability to build on existing resources.

“She utilizes her network effectively, engaging a variety of students, scholars, and administrators who are committed to what is best for the community,” Tomalei Vess, associate director of education and training at the Duke Institute of Genome Sciences and Policy, wrote in an e-mail. “In addition, Duncan is skilled at assessing the perspective and position of key stakeholders connected to a given issue and quickly determines which battles are to be fought and which can never be won.”

For Duncan, being a Young Trustee is not just about representing Duke but also knowing what students need.

“Right now with our economy, career and professional development is very key,” Duncan said.

Duncan said that, if selected, she hopes to support efforts to equip graduating graduate students with the career tools they need to sell their skills in a competitive job market.

Duncan’s leadership activities and services, however, extend beyond the University to the community, she said.

She has worked as a mentor with the Duke Building Opportunities and Overtures in Science and Technology Program—a mentoring program that helps middle school students in Durham develop an interest in the sciences.

Duncan said her love for leadership and academics is what sustains her and makes her succeed in her commitment toward school work and leadership responsibility.

“One of the things I’ve learned is that you have to do things you are passionate about,” Duncan said. “I am not going to do something just because it would look good because honestly I don’t have enough time.”

Jessi Bardill, a fellow GPSC member and engineering graduate student, spoke highly of Duncan’s dependability.

“She delivers on everything she commits to,” Bardill wrote in an e-mail.

Share and discuss “Duncan would advance career development as YT” on social media.