Donations rising post-recession

Administrators are hopeful that donations to Duke will rise this fiscal year.

Donations are up about 5 percent midway through the 2010 fiscal year, which runs from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010, said William Conescu, executive director of Alumni and Development Communications. Conescu declined to say how much money Duke has raised to date.

Last fiscal year, donations were down $83 million dollars from the previous year, as the University raised about $302 million.

“We’re cautiously optimistic based on what we’re seeing in the general economy and the donor conversations,” said Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations. “Contributions are coming in throughout the year and we are definitely seeing an uptick. We’re hopeful.”

The decline from fiscal year 2008’s record high was attributed to the economic crisis and the absence of large gifts. The number of donors remained steady at about 100,000.

“In looking at any university year to year some of the differences seen deal with significant major gifts,” Schoenfeld said. “The timing of those can be unpredictable. We are seeing signs that majors gifts will be picking up.”

Conescu noted that last year was still the fifth highest fundrasing year ever for Duke following three consecutive record-breaking years. Duke conducted the Financial Aid Initiative, a major fundraising campaign, during that period. The campaign brought in $308 million by Dec. 31 2008.

“Duke ranked 13th [among U.S. colleges and universities in] private fundraising last year, that’s a pretty strong position to be in especially when we weren’t in a campaign—others were in a campaign, which just naturally increases your profits,” Schoenfeld said.

Academic Council Chair Craig Henriquez, professor of biomedical engineering and co-director of the Center for Neuroengineering, said many large gifts are made with specific projects like new buildings or programs in mind. He said he does not think lower giving has had an impact on academic programs in any way.

Of the roughly $302 million given to Duke in fiscal year 2009, 42 percent went to Duke Medicine, 14 percent to Trinity College and 6 percent to athletics, according to the 2008-2009 “Giving to Duke” Annual Report (opens a PDF). And of the $42 million given to Trinty College, donors designated $17 million for financial aid.

“It is very important to our leaders that the economic challenges are not going to have a negative impact on our students especially with financial aid policies,” Conescu said. “Adjustments have to be made elsewhere to maintain student programs.”

According to the Council for Aid to Education, donations were down about 12 percent for U.S. colleges and universities in fiscal year 2009.

“Any time people are anxious about their jobs, wealth or assets, that’s inevitably going to have an effect on charitable donations,” Schoenfeld said. “The economy was in a much more perilous position last fiscal year. There are still many difficulties, but we have a more stable situation.”

Conescu said Duke’s fundraisers are not employing any new tactics this year and are using many of the same methods from previous years.

“It is not a time to change tactics,” Schoenfeld said. “It is time to continue to strengthen relationships that you already have. It’s important to just keep them informed and to maintain the relationships that could ultimately result in a major gift. People don’t just wake up and want to give a major gift.”

Share and discuss “Donations rising post-recession” on social media.