Tenting kick-off party finalized

DUU members participate in the group’s weekly meeting Tuesday night. DUU will sponsor the rXn Dance Party Saturday night to mark the start of blue tenting season in Krzyzewskiville.

Duke University Union is preparing to make blue tenting kick-off an experience to remember.

At their Tuesday night meeting, DUU members discussed various marketing strategies and the final details for the tenting kick-off celebration this weekend. The event aims to begin blue tenting on a fun note, DUU members said.

There will be several events Saturday starting at 1 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium with a watch party for the men’s basketball game against Georgetown University, said Special Projects Director Christie Falco, a senior.

Falco said the highlight of the day will be the rXn Dance Party, which will take place from 11 pm. to 4 a.m. in Wilson Recreation Center. The dance party is co-sponsored by DUU, the men’s basketball team and the Line Monitors.

“DJ Double J will come and spin some sweet dance club music,” Falco said. “Also, Jimmy John’s is donating free subs for everyone at the party.”

The rXn party will be decorated with lasers, black lights and fog machines, Falco added. Free shirts and highlighters will be distributed to the first 300 people who show up. There will also be a raffle during the party, and winners will receive basketballs and posters signed by the men’s basketball team. To promote the event, DUU members will distribute free highlighter bracelets on the West Campus Plaza and at the Marketplace on East Campus.

“If every member of a tenting group shows up, they will receive two grace nights,” Falco said. “We expect a ton of people to come out this Saturday.”

Falco declined to discuss the financial details of the event.

Rock band OK Go performed at the first concert in Krzyzewskiville in March 2008. The show, which capped off a week of festivities prior to the men’s basketball game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, cost at least $30,000.

In other business:

Dr. Ruth Westheimer, a renowned sex therapist, will come to Duke Feb. 12 to speak in Reynolds Theater, said Vice President of Communications Karen Chen, a junior. Westheimer is best known for her open discussions on sex issues and has written books such as “Dr. Ruth’s Top Ten Secrets for Great Sex” and “Sex for Dummies.”

Spoken word artist Andrea Gibson will perform her poetry 9 p.m. Thursday at the Duke Coffeehouse, said senior Andrew Kindman, DUU Coffeehouse director and general manager. Gibson’s poetry often deals with issues of gender and politics.

Share and discuss “Tenting kick-off party finalized” on social media.