RECESS  |  CULTURE

Screen/Society to kick off tonight with Oscar-winner's documentary

Screen/Society's Spring 2010 program will officially begin tonight at 7PM in Griffith Theater with the screening of Tongzhi in Love. The film, the first installment of the Kenan Ethics series, follows the dilemmas of being gay in modern China. There will be a post-screening discussion led by Professor of Philosophy David Wong, Assitant Professor of Chinese Literature and Culture Guo-Juin Hong (also affiliated with Arts of the Moving Image and Women's Studies) and Associate Professor of Women's Studies and Cultural Anthropology Ara Wilson. Director Ruby Yang won an Academy Award in 2006 for her previous documentary short The Blood of Yingzhou District.

Calendar, the first film of the Accented Cinemas of the Middle East series, witnesses the unraveling of an Armenian marriage at the hands of technology's inherent dangers. It will screen tomorrow night at 8PM in White Lecture Hall.

Finally, a deeper look into the life of current Nasher exhibited and wildly famous artisit Andy Warhol is offered with part one of Ric Burns' Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film. It will screen at, you guessed it, the Nasher this thursday at 7PM.

You can find the entire Screen/Society Spring schedule here. You can also read about the series at greater depth in the Spring Arts Preview insert of The Chronicle's Jan. 27th issue.

Share and discuss “Screen/Society to kick off tonight with Oscar-winner's documentary” on social media.