Panhel, frats to get space on Central

The Panhellenic Association, Pi Kappa Phi fraternity and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity have been granted space on Central Campus, Campus Council members announced at Thursday’s weekly meeting.

“We have confirmed that three groups will be joining Central Campus next year,” said Jen Frank, assistant director of accommodations for RLHS.

Panhel was assigned units 201 and 202 on Alexander Ave. PiKapp has unit 220, and SAE has unit 1712 on Pace St. Panhel, PiKapp and SAE will join Ubuntu and SHARE, the only two selective living groups currently on Central.

The Panhel space on Central will be available to all nine sororities, said Joe Gonzalez, associate dean for residential life.

“In their original proposal, the idea was that each sorority would have an equal number of beds or something,” he said. “Each sorority will have to decide­—it’s up to them to fill the space.”

Panhel’s proposal was confirmed Friday of last week, after Campus Council approved it at last week’s meeting. On Friday, Residence Life and Housing Services, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta and Steve Nowicki, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, finalized the decision. 

Panhellenic members said they are pleased with the outcome. 

“Personally, I’m thrilled. This is something we haven’t had for decades, something we’ve been working on for decades, and to see it happen in the same year that we’ve been working on it is a huge step for sororities,” said Senior Alyssa Dack, president of Alpha Delta Pi sorority. Dack was not present at the meeting.

Dack, presented the original proposal with Senior Casey Miller, a member of Pi Beta Phi sorority,  in December. Miller could not be reached for comment.

“[The space] will be a huge asset, a way to give us the ability to work together, learn from each other and have a working relationship between the nine chapters. We haven’t had the accomodations to do that before,” Dack said. 

She also added that the space on Central will most likely be used by junior and senior members only, and it is Panhel’s hope that all nine sororities decide to participate in the space on Central.

In other business:

Campus Council members also announced new programming events, including ice skating on the Main Quadrangle Friday, Feb. 5 from 6 to 10 p.m.

The Facilities and Service Committee also gave a presentation Thursday. Projects like laundry room online tracking, laundry room shelving, more campus furniture and improved handicapped access were presented to the Council. Other projects discussed were floor maps in Few Quad, new signs in the Blue Zone and milemarkers on East.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly described Alyssa Dack’s role in Alpha Delta Pi sorority. Dack, a senior, is the current president of Alpha Delta Pi. The Chronicle regrets the error.  

Share and discuss “Panhel, frats to get space on Central” on social media.