For Duke, Weather Outside Is Anything But Frightful

weatherforecast

The last time Duke played in the New York City area in December, the weather in the Meadowlands was positively nasty, forcing Blue Devil fans to trudge through 15-degree chills and leftover slush from the previous day's snowstorm. But once they got inside, the game's outcome was delightful: Duke pounded Xavier 82-64, and it wasn't even as close as it sounds. In fact, last year, Duke played three times as blustery conditions whipped outside, and the Blue Devils won all three games.

Not a bad portend for this afternoon's matchup with Gonzaga in New York City, where meteorologists are calling for up to a foot of snow amidst a blizzard warning.

The inclement weather forced Duke to move some of its promotions -- namely, a Twitter contest to find the mascot -- inside. But it's certainly a boon that Duke's hotel isn't far from Madison Square Garden, which rests above Penn Station, the entry point for any commuters training in from New Jersey or Long Island and a short subway ride from Grand Central, the hub for Westchester and Connecticut. Plus, Duke is 20-6 at the Garden under Mike Krzyzewski, and the Blue Devils have won 12 of their last 13 in the World's Most Famous Arena. (The only loss came in December 2007 to Pittsburgh.)

So with the comfort of two streaks, Duke fans might have just one wish when they're safely ensconced inside the Garden, with no place to go: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Share and discuss “For Duke, Weather Outside Is Anything But Frightful” on social media.