RECESS  |  CULTURE

Best of Best of 2009 Lists

If it's snowing in December, it must mean year-end lists. In addition to recess' own which ran a couple weeks ago, millions of others have surfaced across the interweb, but below are a few especially noteworthy ones. Check it out:

• The Independent has a locally flavored wrap-up of the end of the aughts, highlighting the top 10 albums and 40 songs (some favorites: Hammer, Red Collar, Megafaun, Bowerbirds, Midtown, Love Language and Bombadil)
  • Everyone and Mac McCaughan's mother at Merge Records has dropped a list over at their blog
  • The good folks over at Trekky Records have compiled some really stellar lists in the form of "TRK Best of 2k9" (My biased favorites: Will Hackney, Clare Connolly, Martin Anderson -- Bill Callahan and Mount Eerie!)
  • WXDU's Ross Grady weighed in
  • A bunch of people dropped guests lists on Pitchfork, among them lots of Merge Artists (Jeremy Gara, Dan Bejar, etc.) and rising star Chaz Bundick who we caught up with earlier this year
  • Karen Mann has her five favorite local releases on her blog
  • Megafaun recount some of their favorite things of the year (and release a cover of "I Saw Three Ships") on Hometapes' blog as part of the label's 8 Days of Hometapes
  • All Songs Considered (and NPR music) always puts together smart pieces and their year-end list is good, but this map is possibly better

Finally, I just want to throw in Freddy Ruppert's year-end list because he has some great picks on there, but also because the Former Ghosts' debut album was really spectacular.

Here's to 2010.

Share and discuss “Best of Best of 2009 Lists” on social media.