Thomas embraces role as most vocal leader

Senior Lance Thomas is known among his teammates for his oversized personality and versatile defense.

Few teams will measure up to the Blue Devils’ size this year, with the Duke roster featuring four players over 6-foot-10 in what will amount to one of the team’s tallest squads in recent memory. 

The player with the biggest presence on the court this season, however, is none other than a lanky, high-energy forward who carries himself as if he were well over seven feet tall. 

Lance Thomas, who was named captain along with fellow senior Jon Scheyer in the offseason, enters his most involved role on the team in his four years at Duke. And as far as his teammates are concerned, Thomas is more than ready for his new leadership position. 

“[Thomas is] unbelievable,” senior center Brian Zoubek said. “He’s definitely one of, if not the, best leader I’ve had since I’ve been here. I’m in the same class as him and have grown up with him for four years. He has just stepped it up a notch this year, both as a person and a player.” 

The 6-foot-8 forward worked extremely hard this offseason, especially in the weight room. Through numerous strength and flexibility workouts, Thomas added between 10 and 15 pounds of muscle to bulk up to 225 lbs.  

With Mason Plumlee, a projected starter, out with a broken wrist, Thomas has reprised his starting role, and often guards the opposing team’s biggest offensive threats due to his athletic ability and extremely determined style of play. And though Thomas is not one of the Blue Devils’ most flashy players, he has solidified himself as a strong leader on the team who knows what is expected of him both on the court and in the locker room. 

“I need to be a vocal leader,” Thomas said. “I need to be able to guard the opposing team’s best player. I need to be able to finish and hit open shots. Basically, adding off of what the defense gives me and in return guard the other team’s best player.” 

Throughout his career at Duke, Thomas has demonstrated his abilities as a resourceful defender, guarding every position on the floor. His versatility is essential to the team’s success because the Blue Devils do not possess another player who can effectively guard as many positions as well as Thomas can. 

As a leader, Thomas began his emergence as early as his sophomore year. He always had one of loudest voices on the team, constantly encouraging teammates during practice. 

Last season, Thomas not only expanded his vocal presence on the team, but also learned the ability to lead by example. The latter skill came easy to the senior captain, who always puts forth his best effort and pushes his teammates to reach their full potential.  

Thomas’s charisma and extroverted nature enables him to mold nicely with Scheyer,  who was also a captain last season. The senior guard has found that sharing the leadership responsibilities with Thomas has assisted him greatly in his own captain role. 

“Lance is naturally very vocal, which helps me out a lot,” Scheyer said. “In practice you always hear his voice. It always takes a lot of pressure off me—we compliment each other very well.” 

Share and discuss “Thomas embraces role as most vocal leader” on social media.