Scheyer comfortable running the point

Jon Scheyer has finally settled on a position—point guard—after three years of mixed responsibilities.

The signs are pointing up for Jon Scheyer as he enters his fourth and final season as a Blue Devil.

Duke’s only returning captain, Scheyer has started the season at point guard, reprising the role he assumed in February 2008. Through all the assignments the 6-foot-5 guard has filled during his Duke career, from starting on the wing as a freshman to serving as a sixth man ace during his sophomore season, Scheyer is at peace playing the point in his senior campaign.

“Point guards will have different shots that we get, so that’s something going into this year that I’m excited [about],” Scheyer said. “It gets me more excited that people don’t think we have enough guys to handle the ball, so that’s something that just gets me motivated.”

Scheyer spent significant time working on his ballhandling over the summer and spent four days in June at the Deron Williams Skills Academy training alongside other top collegiate point guards like Kansas’ Sherron Collins and Michigan State’s Kalin Lucas.

But Scheyer views his point guard duties differently than he did last year. For one, the presence of Nolan Smith as another steady guard in the backcourt means that Scheyer will not bear the ballhandling burden alone. Factor in a more up-tempo role for forward Kyle Singler, who practiced exclusively with the guards this offseason, and Scheyer feels strongly that there are plenty of helping hands available on the Duke roster to bring the ball up the court.

“It all starts with me, but there’s not going to be a whole lot of pressure on me,” Scheyer said. “Nolan and Kyle are going to have ballhandling responsibilities too, and I’m not going to have the ball in my hands long bringing it up the court. I just want to get us into our offense.”

With opponents likely to pressure Duke in an attempt to wear Scheyer down, Smith’s ability to periodically take on point guard responsibilities should also pay dividends in allowing the duo to stay sharp.

“I think with both of us interchanging and taking turns with the ball, off the ball, it allows us to stay fresh,” Smith said. “We have a big team this year so we wont have to push the ball as much as we did last year with guys like Gerald [Henderson] on the wing running the court.”

The frontline size that Smith referenced—three of Duke’s current starters are all 6-foot-8 or taller—also should benefit a high-volume shooter like Scheyer, who led the Blue Devils in three-point attempts last year with 205.

“When you shoot your shot, you’re confident that those guys can get the rebound,” Scheyer said. “For me as a guard, it’s really exciting to know that you’ve got big guys behind you.”

Another adaptation that head coach Mike Krzyzewski hopes to implement with his larger lineup is an increase in motion offense plays, which Scheyer also feels will play to his strengths. Motion will allow for Scheyer to quickly get upcourt, pass off the ball and work within the set for an open shot.

So far, Scheyer has been cashing in on those opportunities, shooting 43.8 percent from three-point range and averaging 16 points in Duke’s first three contests.

“I’ll become a playmaker off of that,” Scheyer said of the team’s motion offense sets. “I’ll look for my shot in the normal way we play.”

When asked about his expectations for the season, Scheyer jokingly quipped that he saw the team going undefeated and winning an NCAA title. But after a bit of reflection, the senior captain put his focus on a much smaller span than a full year.

“The main thing for me is that I just want to take it one game at a time,” Scheyer said. “I’m going to enjoy it, but really not look past any game or practice this year. That would be perfect for me.”

Share and discuss “Scheyer comfortable running the point” on social media.