Move to perimeter gives Singler new dimension

Junior Kyle Singler spent most of his first two seasons in the post, but he will play exclusively on the perimeter this year because of Duke’s depth at forward.

For the first time since arriving at Duke, Kyle Singler will spend the season playing exclusively where he is most comfortable: the perimeter.

As one of the most of the most versatile players in the country, Singler found himself playing under the basket for the past two years as the Blue Devils had a particularly thin frontcourt. But now, with Duke ready to field its tallest team in recent memory, the Blue Devils hope Singler’s newfound assignment on offense will let his game shine.

The junior is already getting both regional and national attention: He was chosen as the Preseason ACC Player of the Year two weeks ago, and Monday, he was named to the AP Preseason All-America team.

“I’ll be able to play more freely,” Singler said. “We are a whole lot better [of a rebounding team]. I know we’re big, but we’re [also] athletic. It’s one thing just to be big, but we have guys that can jump and run the floor, and if you can do that, they create rebounding lanes. I think guys are hungry to rebound, and that’s a big part because you have to have an edge to rebound.”

Gone are the days of adding 20 pounds over the offseason and working tirelessly to devleop new post moves in order to be able to play down low. At a preseason press conference, head coach Mike Krzyzewski made the position switch official. Singler will play on the perimeter where his height and ability to shoot the ball will help the Blue Devils create matchup problems.

As a Duke recruit, Singler was ranked as the best small forward and the No. 5 overall player in the Class of 2007 by Rivals.com. He was noted for his shooting touch and ability to move well with the ball despite his size. But when Singler arrived on campus as a freshman for the 2007-2008 season, he was one of three big men and was forced to shoulder the burden in the post with just the help of sophomores Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek.

The Blue Devils were in desperate need of a post presence, and so Singler cooperated. Singler’s long range and ability to play on the perimeter didn’t disappear, but it certainly wasn’t highlighted when he was playing just feet from the basket.

Two years later, the sacrifice is no longer necessary. Thomas, 6-foot-10 forward Mason Plumlee and his brother, sophomore Miles Plumlee, will handle most of the rebounding and post responsibilities. And so at 6-foot-8, Singler will often be the third-tallest player on the court for Duke.

“It helps him out a lot,” Thomas said. “The stuff that you guys have seen Kyle do since he’s been here just shows how good of a player Kyle is. [He’s 6-foot-8] and maybe 240 pounds and he played inside last year.... Him having that freedom to just stay out there, and we have guys that can do all that banging for him, I think it’s just going to be a great year for him.”

The team has more tall, athletic players than Krzyzewski can remember at any point during his coaching career at Duke.

“We’re a very tall team,” Krzyzewski said. “I think it’s our biggest team since I’ve been here, and this is my 30th year so it’s [the biggest team] in a long time.”

Singler will be the focal point of Duke’s offense this season, and other ACC coaches and the media have taken notice. Singler was chosen on 19 of the 48 ballots for Preseason ACC Player of the Year honors at the ACC’s Operation Basketball event to narrowly edge out Maryland’s Greivis Vasquez. If Singler is able to turn the preseason prediction into ACC Player of the Year honors at the end of the season, he will be the 13th Blue Devil to do so.

Despite playing out of position last season under the basket, Singler averaged more points, rebounds, steals and blocks than any other returning player this season for the Blue Devils. Finally playing out on the 3-point arc, the junior wil have the chance to dominate defenders where he is even more comfortable.

Share and discuss “Move to perimeter gives Singler new dimension” on social media.