Captains Scheyer, Thomas fill leadership gap

Senior Lance Thomas, Duke’s sixth man, described himself as the Blue Devils’ most vocal leader.

When the final buzzer sounded in Boston during last year’s Sweet 16 loss to Villanova, Duke was forced to face not only the reality of another early postseason exit, but also the loss of one of its most vocal leaders, Greg Paulus.

It got worse when Gerald Henderson announced he would be foregoing his senior season by declaring for June’s NBA Draft weeks later, leaving another gaping hole on and off the court.

Finding this team’s dynamic starts with understanding its captains: seniors Lance Thomas and Jon Scheyer.

“I’m probably the most vocal leader,” Thomas said. “Jon, he’s a leader by example. We complement each other very well.”

Over the last four years, both men have earned respect from their peers and opponents—Thomas for his staunch defense and Scheyer for his shooting touch—but the two will be forced to emerge as on-court generals if they are to fill the hole left by Henderson and Paulus. Thus far, they’ve received rave reviews from their teammates.

“Jon and Lance have gone through a lot,” junior forward Kyle Singler said. “They’re seniors and they know what to expect. I think they say the right things at the right times.”

With such a large void to fill, the rest of the upperclassmen will have to step up into leadership roles. From the beginning, the seniors have done their best to help the rookies adjust to the rigor of high-level college basketball.

“We’ve got to start by doing it by example, showing them what to do every day by doing it yourself,” senior Brian Zoubek said. “We just have to encourage them.”

In fact, Zoubek is trying to assume a role that may not feel especially familiar to him. When he arrived in 2006, peer advice was hard to come by—freshmen and sophomores occupied 12 of 14 roster spots. Now, he understands the importance of helping the rookies adjust.

“A little advice goes a long way,” Zoubek said. “Sometimes I didn’t get that as a freshman. We didn’t have any seniors, so I know how far something little can go.”

During a summer that saw the majority of the team in Durham for classes, the Blue Devils were able to bond effectively. As a result, team chemistry does not figure to be an issue on this year’s squad. In fact, the veterans believe that the team is tighter than ever.

Scheyer said that despite losing Henderson, his and Thomas’s good friend, to the NBA, this Duke squad is still the most united one he has been a part of.

During the offesason, the team was pleasantly surprised upon hearing that Andre Dawkins was going to be joining the Class of 2013 after graduating high school a year earlier than expected. His inability to attend summer sessions made the transition even more difficult, but his new teammates have done all they can to help him out.

“From day one I took him under my wing so that he didn’t make the same mistakes I made as a freshman and sophomore,” junior guard Nolan Smith said. “Hopefully I’ve been there for him enough to where he won’t hit any walls.”

Smith was given lots of responsibility early in his Blue Devil career and dealt with it with mixed results, but he did warn Dawkins against one of his own early foibles.

“Getting satisfied,” Smith said. “As a freshman, you come in and play and get satisfied. I want him to take full advantage of the opportunity he has with only a couple guards on the team. He can really make his mark this year.”

The other new arrivals, big men Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee, have meshed equally well. Plumlee has family history on his side, aided by his brother Miles throughout the process. On the other hand, Kelly is close enough to his hometown of Raleigh that he is still well within his comfort zone.

Though the Plumlee family connection and Kelly’s short distance from home have played a part in their transition, Scheyer and Thomas have played a critical role as well.

“Our captains have been great. Jon and Lance are seniors, they’ve been here, and they’ve been through the battles and the wars. As players, everyone on this team knows that,” Smith said. “They demand respect and we give them the respect that they deserve.”

In the end, the fate of this team’s chemistry will rest squarely on the shoulders of Thomas and Scheyer. So far, they have done Henderson and Paulus proud.

Share and discuss “Captains Scheyer, Thomas fill leadership gap” on social media.