Blue Devil squads finish in top 5 at ACC meet

The Duke women’s cross country team did well to finish second at the ACC Championships over the weekend.

Both the men’s and women’s squad performed well at the ACC Championships this weekend, placing fourth and second, respectively, at the conference meet in Cary, N.C.

On the men’s side, Duke finished with 74 points, 18 behind winner N.C. State. The Blue Devils, though, can be proud of their position just off the medal stand: Duke finished just three points behind Virginia, which took second place, and two behind Florida State, which ended up in third.

Junior Bo Waggoner finished sixth out of 109 in the 8K race with a time of 23:34.04. His effort earned him All-ACC honors for the second straight year. Junior Cory Nanni finished 14th in the same race to earn the All-ACC accolade as well.

“Our guys ran tough today,” men’s head coach Norm Ogilvie said. “We couldn’t be prouder of their effort. We were the first team to get five men in and that’s what cross country’s all about. We just didn’t have enough up front to upset Florida State.”

The Duke women did even better than their male counterparts, finishing the meet in second place. The Seminoles ran away with the gold medal and an ACC title with just 37 points, but the Blue Devils were clearly the next-best squad. Duke totaled 71 points, and Virginia, the third-place finisher, had 84.

Three Duke women earned All-ACC honors: Carly Seymour, Juliet Bottorff and Kate Van Buskirk. All three did so for their performances in the 6K race.

“Our top five kids all ran quite well,” women’s head coach Kevin Jermyn said. “We had a few kids that are a little bit disappointed, but overall, a good showing. We feel like if we can get things to gel at a higher level, we can finish closer to a team like Florida State. They’re a strong team that had a great day.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devil squads finish in top 5 at ACC meet” on social media.