Barnes to announce decision

Harrison Barnes, the 6-foot-6, 190-lb. swingman considered by many to be one of the top high school players in the country, will announce where he will play college basketball today at 4 p.m. on ESPNU.

Barnes is listed as the best player in the senior class by Scout.com. Duke is one of several finalists to snag Barnes, along with Kansas, Iowa State, Oklahoma, UCLA and North Carolina.

The Iowa native made his official visit to Duke’s campus the weekend of Oct. 23, when he met with the basketball team as well as Christoph Guttentag, Dean of Admissions. The Cameron Crazies came out in full force for Barnes’ arrival, even creating a life-size cutout of the recruit in a No. 40 Duke jersey.

Barnes, who will announce his decision in the Ames High School gymnasium, is prized for his ability to score both from the permieter and near the basket. He can play a variety of different positions. As a junior, Barnes averaged 19.7 points and 8.8 rebounds per game, leading his high school to an undefeated season and a state title.

Duke already has three verbal commits for the Class of 2010. Point guard Kyrie Irving—the No. 2 point guard in  his class—currently highlights a group that includes guard Tyler Thornton and forward Josh Hairston. Sophomore transfer Seth Curry will also be available for the Blue Devils next season after sitting out this year as per NCAA regulations.

Share and discuss “Barnes to announce decision” on social media.