Arts Weekend to show viability of University's arts culture

This weekend marks the fusion of student creativity with the business savvy of artistic alumni in the first ever Duke Arts Weekend. 

Initiated by the Office of the Vice Provost for the Arts, the campus-wide showcase will feature student artwork, student performances, an original play and panels by alumni in the arts and media industries. Ranging from paintings to poetry to films, over 150 works were submitted and accepted by students of all disciplines.

“You don’t need to be an art major to participate this weekend,” said Beverly Meek, Duke’s arts outreach and communications assistant. “Most students here have some sort of art experience in their backgrounds, and so this event came entirely from their interest.”

Last spring, a student approached Vice Provost for the Arts Scott Lindroth and suggested displaying student artwork in an attempt to engage the greater Duke community. Lindroth expanded the concept to include an alumni reception, discussions and even elementary school contributions.

Duke Arts Weekend kicks off on Thursday with Through the Night, a one-man play that uses the perspectives of six characters to delve into stereotypes of African Americans. After seeing the play last summer, senior political science major Margaret Skoglund knew she wanted to bring the production to Duke.

“I had never been so thoroughly moved by a play in my entire life,” Skoglund said. “After the show, I just lost it—tears were streaming down my face.”

Performed by Def Jam poet Daniel Beaty and directed by Duke graduate Charles Randolph-Wright, Through the Night parallels the weekend’s alumni focus. Alumni will also host various discussions throughout the weekend that emphasize the business aspect of the arts.

“We want to introduce students to all careers inspired by art—not only the creators or producers, but the lawyers and managers as well,” Lindroth said. “These are viable careers, and the alumni can show all the opportunities that exist for students here at Duke.”

Junior Will Passo, Duke Student Government vice president for Durham and regional affairs, believes this weekend will serve as a networking resource for students who are interested in the arts and media industry—a “career fair for the arts,” he said.

In addition to the campus’s creative output, Duke Student Government will also sponsor works by Durham’s Y.E. Smith Elementary School students through the Draw Your Own Picasso project initiated by Passo. Thirty kids created Picasso-like works out of blue construction paper and cut-out shapes.

“Part of DSG’s mission is to use the arts to connect Duke with Durham,” Passo said. “In addition to our broader policies, I think it’s important to target and affect a small audience once in a while.”

After the whirlwind of events, most student pieces will be taken down by Sunday, although a few select works will be on display in the BC’s Brown Gallery until February.

“This weekend is going to be big,” Passo said. “The arts movement is pushing Duke in a new direction, focusing on non-traditional careers with an artistic path. See it while you can.” 

Share and discuss “Arts Weekend to show viability of University's arts culture” on social media.