Krzyzewski leads Fuqua conference

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski talks with an attendee Tuesday at this year’s Fuqua School of Business and Coach K Leadership Conference.

For Blue Devils, basketball and business go hand in hand.

Wednesday afternoon marked the closing of this year’s Fuqua School of Business and Coach K Leadership Conference. The three-day event titled “Leadership in Times of Uncertainty” focused on corporate strategies for dealing with an unstable economy.

Blair Sheppard, dean of Fuqua and chair and cofounder of Duke Corporate Education, said the conference’s main objective was to develop businesses by drawing parallels to sports and viewing games as “metaphors for life.”

“Our hope is that interesting, fun, stimulating conversations come from [the conference].” Sheppard said. “How do we develop a strategy when we have no idea what’s going to happen next year?”

The conference—which cost participants $1,600 per ticket—featured more than 15 speakers, admittance to a men’s basketball practice and a gala dinner at which Head coach Mike Krzyzewski delivered the keynote address.

The high-paced atmosphere of the practice was an effective contrast to the professional environment of the keynote sessions, said self-proclaimed Duke fan James Riggs, a certified financial planner and managing director of Rogers Realty Advisors, LLC.

“I like being around world-class organizations, there are always things you can learn,” Riggs said of the men’s basketball team. “There’s a chemistry from being around the best. I would call it an emotional level of intelligence.”

Krzyzewski used the scrimmage in Cameron Indoor Stadium to demonstrate different leadership techniques that work both on the court and in the office. As players raced up and down the court, Krzyzewski explained different coaching techniques he was using and how to apply them to everyday life.

“You have to adjust accordingly,” he said. “In any team there are people who are more talented and experienced than others. We have to find who complements them while allowing them to develop... A good player is a student of the game.”

Brian Bonner, Business ’85 and vice president and chief information officer of Texas Instruments, said Krzyzewski’s presence played a large role in his interest in the conference.

“The best part of the conference is [Krzyzewski],” Bonner said. “He doesn’t hide behind corporate mumbo-jumbo. Whatever the theme, [Krzyzewski] brings it home.”

Scott Barron, president of Mount Pisgah Christian School in Johns Creek, Ga., shared similar ideas.

“I’ve read all of [Krzyzewski]’s books,” Barron said. “I came with an interest as to how leadership in sports plays into life as well.”

Although feedback for Krzyzewski was largely positive, some participants were not as enthused with the other keynote speakers at the event.

“I think [the keynote speakers] are  OK,” said Magda Kespany, who attended the event out of curiosity. “In the future they can improve. There are other areas apart from business that managers need to understand.”

Despite some of the drawbacks of the conference, Riggs said he was glad he attended the event.

“At some other conferences I may have enjoyed [the speakers] a little more,” he said, “But I still [found these speakers] very helpful.” 

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski leads Fuqua conference” on social media.