It's All Greek

Last year in this space, I preached about Gossip Girl, that delicious cocktail of morality thrown right out the window. 

Gossip Girl wasn’t exactly a flavor of the month—I still watch the show, of course, and so should you—but another program has taken over priority on my DVR’s Mondays-at-nine timeslot: Greek, the show anyone at Duke can relate to. 

We have the Joyce and Sati’s; the kids at Cyprus-Rhodes University have Doppler’s. We have Tailgate; they have the Undie Run. We have med schools in Singapore; they have... the Undie Run. 

OK, so maybe CRU and Duke aren’t comparable in the classroom, though a nerdy engineer named Rusty does his best Pratt imitation (minus the part where he snags a great-looking blonde instead of a fellow engineer who talks with a lisp and hasn’t seen the light of day in weeks).

Gossip Girl and Greek are enjoyable for the exact opposite reasons. The former is fun because almost none of us could ever live the way Serena and Blair do, throwing money around and sleeping with everyone in sight. Greek, meanwhile, works because we all know one of those people—a bro like Cappy that my girlfriend pictures when she looks at me who loves to drink and crack jokes, or a chick like Rebecca Logan whom you just want to punch in the face at all times. But we don’t all know a guy like Fisher, a decent-looking kid who apparently gets to date the cute president of Zeta Beta Zeta because of his cupcake-making abilities. A tad dainty for my liking, but whatever. 

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the one nagging issue with the show: Casey Cartwright’s silly haircut. But aside from that, Greek is great because it knows its audience is just a bunch of kids like us who love day-drinking and not doing homework. 

As ABC Family says, Greek is “A new kind of family.” 

I couldn’t have said it better myself.  

Share and discuss “It's All Greek” on social media.