Duke beats practice squad in Blue-White

Senior Bridgette Mitchell scored 24 points and grabbed eight rebounds in Duke’s Blue-White Scrimmage.

After a disappointing end to the 2009 campaign, Duke started with a new slate Sunday at Cameron Indoor Stadium with the Blue-White Scrimmage.

The Blue Devils scrimmaged against the practice squad instead of forming two Duke teams because three players are currently injured.

Even after losing three of five starters from last year’s team, the Blue Devils maintained the solid level of play that epitomized their play last season, beating the male practice team 110-43. Duke had five players score in double digits, including sophomore Kathleen Scheer, who only averaged 6.1 minutes and 2.5 points per game during her freshman year, but chipped in 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting.

“I think that’s the thrill of our team. We don’t depend on any one person. Everybody has the confidence to score and attack,” senior Bridgette Mitchell said.

Defensively, Duke forced 32 turnovers, including 24 steals. The Blue Devils frustrated the practice squad with their relentlessness and rarely allowed their opponents to take an open shot, holding the practice squad to 30.2 percent shooting.  

Led by returning starters Jasmine Thomas and Mitchell, Duke was able to shoot effectively from beyond the arc, hitting 12-of-25 attempts, including 4-of-7 3-point shooting from Sheer. In addition, the Blue Devils were able to outrebound their opponent by a 47-29 margin.

Mitchell led Duke with four steals and 24 points on 10-of-16 shooting. But more importantly, she was aggressive on the boards, grabbing eight rebounds.  

“[Bridgette] had some excellent leadership, especially in her rebounding, and also in her attack,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said.

“It’s my last year, and I need to show my team that I have confidence in myself so that they have confidence in me when I go out on the floor,” Mitchell said.

One of the Blue Devils’ main challenges this year will be dealing with the loss of Chante Black, who led last year’s squad in points and rebounds. Black was drafted by the Connecticut Sun earlier this year.

However, during the scrimmage, junior center Krystal Thomas and freshman Allison Vernerey proved capable filling the void left by Black, as the two combined for 18 points and 12 rebounds.

Vernerey, who lives in France, served as the captain of the French U16 and U18 National Teams and was added to the French National Team’s roster earlier in 2009.

“Allison is a tough competitor,” McCallie said. “I think her best attribute is her pursuit of the ball. She hustles, plays extremely hard and is always very effective in the paint.”

Duke wants all of its players to display that type of aggression on the court this season, especially after being outhustled by Michigan State to end its NCAA tournament run a year ago.

“Toughness has always been an emphasis of this program,” Thomas said. “I think now everything is coming together for us, and we understand that we have to be the tougher team.”

Share and discuss “Duke beats practice squad in Blue-White” on social media.